R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr pod 175

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r pod 175
    Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 8:27pm
ARE THERE ANY 175 OWNERS OUT THERE? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THAT MODEL WAS DISCONTINUED?
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 1:41am
A couple months from now we'll be entering our 5th year of ownership of our 175. It has done yeoman's work for us over a plethora of 2 to 7 day camping trips encompassing all four seasons. It is not perfect, and we would probably trade it for some of the newer model Pods with different features. But, at the time of purchase, we didn't have these choices, and the 175 has been great for us. I'm betting on another 5 years of loyal service from our Pod.

Specific 175 short comings? Unless you're talking about small kids or gnome sized adults, the folding couch is not long enough to be used as a bed. The couch's folded cross section is about equal to that of the Rocky Mountains and will roll grandkids off to the floor--all night long. The supplied table is too large and cumbersome to be used within the 175--easily replaced by an oversized Wally World TV tray type table. As with many Pod models, unless you have eagle eyes, the over bed mounted TV/radio is too small to view comfortably. I can't think of much else problematic for us that would be just a 175 problem.

Our 175 has been a great little TT for us--better built and more durable than the other 4 trailers we've owned.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
lagofan1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 1:14pm
Thank you so much for your input. We recently purchased a 2011 RP175. We haven't used it thus far. We had a pop up before this. We will be pulling it with a 2008 Tundra. We need to have a brake assist installed and make sure we have the correct ball hitch for the Tundra. Do you know what kind of ball we need? We already have the receiver and the electric hookup. Also what kind of brake assist do you have? We are really chomping at the bit to go camping with our new toys. R pod and Tundra.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 4:01pm
I think all Pods need a 2" ball. I use a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller. Most Use the Tekonsha Prodigy series controllers, but I've used them also, and the Primus is my personal preference and it's a few bucks cheaper. If you have the 5.7 Tundra, I'm sure it will do a super job towing your Pod. If you have the 4.7, which is similar to my 4.6 but without a 6th gear, you'll still have a great rig. My Tundra and Pod are a super combo, even pulling pretty severe elevation. Have a great time, and if your Pod doesn't have risers, they're a good idea to have installed.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
lagofan1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 7:36pm
Thanks again for the info. I don't know what risers are but maybe my husband knows. But just to be safe, let me know. Thanks again for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 8:23pm
Risers are axle risers.  They are optional but probably should be standard equipment.  They are steel thingies that go between the axle and the Pod proper, raising the whole thing about 4 inches higher.  This is very beneficial for rough roads or any driveway or gas station entrance that starts steeply off the road.  You can scrape your rear stabilizers off without the risers if you aren't careful.

Pods all take 2" balls.  You'll need to find the right drop for your hitch.  When your hooked up you want the pod to be pretty level.  With a Tundra, just guessing, you might need a 3 inch drop hitch.

And with the Tundra you probably won't need a weight distributing hitch or sway bars.  That's my opinion.  I tow a 176 with a 4L FJ Cruiser and get along fine without sway bars or a WDH, but opinions vary about this and can be pretty strong.  Ask around about these options.

I think I have the Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller too.  It's been great.  I would not want to go very far without brakes hooked up and working. I have, and it's not fun. Tekonsha is a good brand and you don't need to buy their high end product.

Etrailler.com has a great website with lots of helpful information, videos, and well-informed people on the phone who will take the time to talk to you about your questions.  You can get a wealth of information here too though!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 10:23pm
These are axel risers.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

lagofan1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 10:47pm
Thanks so much for all the helpful info. I really do appreciate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply