R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStability of Vibe 6502

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stability of Vibe 6502
    Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 10:43am
Hi: Somewhere I read a couple of reviews by people that the Vibe has some stability issues when the rear is loaded. I would welcome some comments on the 6502 unit as it advertises a "large" rear storage area which is behind the axle. When loaded would this affect the sway /stability of the unit when travelling? Any real life experiences? Any "fixes" if this is true?
We are still leaning toward the R Pod 178 or new 179 but the DW likes that bath arrangement in the Vibe but really like the "U" shaped dinette in the Pods.Ouch
Thanks John
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 9:32pm
  We have a 2012 Vibe 6503 we just bought it and have not had a chance to go camping with it. As with any single axle trailer you need to be more careful to properly balance the cargo weight. The Vibe 6502 and 6503 have very large rear cargo compartments. You can not pack the entire compartment with a lot of heavy cargo you need to be mindful of having a proper tongue weight. The large cargo area is good for large bulky items that do not weigh a lot. If you are interested in the Vibe only buy a 2014 with the 4,400 lb axle the earlier Vibes have a 3,500 lb. axle and has had problems. Our axle was changed by the dealer to a 4,400 lb. axle with 15" wheels. I think the design is good the construction in some ways think the r-pods are better built. But the Vibe does have some advantages one is the full bath which my wife prefers and is one of the main reasons we bought the Vibe. Our r-pod 171 did not have a slide and that is one of the reasons we chose the Vibe 6503 it has no slide. But I would rather have the front bath like the Vibe 6502. Both the r-pod and Vibe are good campers and both have their advantages its a personal choice what you prefer. They are similar campers and I can not tell much difference between the two in towing them. The MPG is about the same using the same tow vehicle. The Vibes are heavier by about 3 to 5 hundred pounds. Most web sites list our trailer 3 hundred pounds heavier than the printed weight on the side of the trailer as it left the factory. So I am curious when I have it weighed what the actual weight will be plus the axle and wheels were changed. Hope you make the right choice in the camper you will be happy with hope this helps.   David     I would like to add that there is not a active Vibe owners web site that is a disadvantage and a big advantage for the r-pods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 8:12am
Thanks David for the comments. I think we are most likely to go with the R-Pod 178 or the new 179 as we will bring a generator with us on longer trips and if we can't use the storage space due to wt. balancing it's kind of a waste.
John
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 8:17am
Any and every TT can get squirrely if loaded wrong. I am sure there are plenty of people who have looked at the Vibe, seen that huge storage area, and then commented on how "easy it would be to load it wrong"..

The fact that a person understands that TT's can be loaded wrong, *should* mean that same person knows what to look for, and how to avoid loading wrong.

If the Vibe works for you, then that is what you should get, and, just like whatever TT you get, be mindful of your cargo loading. It's about total weight and tongue weight. As long as those remain proportional, and below max, all is good. Tow level, with 10-15% of total weight on the tongue, and you are golden. It looks to me like the battery and propane is under the sink in the bathroom, so I don't know if you can switch out to larder/dual tanks and/or batteries, both of which usually add tongue weight.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 6:42pm
I'm not familiar with the layout of the Vibe but I'm with Furpod.  Just because you have a lot of rear storage space doesn't mean you have to cram all the heavy stuff in there. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply