R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUpgraded to Camplite 21RBS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgraded to Camplite 21RBS
    Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 9:35pm
I suppose the thing to do is to follow the hott-rod link, but first, I'm confused about the drain plug.  I suspect Techntrek is correct to interpret that as anode.  Taking that out is probably not the best idea, but I wonder if the hott-rod could include an anode as part of the package.  Smaller, certainly, than the one that was removed, but still workable at least in theory.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 5:48pm
I suppose you could cut the threaded end off of an anode rod and just shove it inside, but you wouldn't be able to check how much of it is left.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I suppose you could cut the threaded end off of an anode rod and just shove it inside, but you wouldn't be able to check how much of it is left.

Would that work?  You need the electrical connection for it to erode (electrolysis) , and without the threads I don't think I would trust it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 6:23pm
You must be right about the electrical connection, else why call it an anode, but then what about teflon tape around the threads?  Interesting question.

I haven't checked the anode in my home water heater since it was installed.  Not sure how long that's been.  A while...  I have thought to look at Lowe's, where I got the WH, and they either don't have any anodes or a very limited selection that doesn't include the one I need.  They seem to be a very low priority item in the big box home DIY stores.  Makes one wonder how important they really are.  I'm sure the stores would rather sell water heaters than anodes, so there's that too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:19pm
confused...............what electrical connection on a anode rode is there............at least mine doesn't have one......maybe im missing something
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:27pm

We are back to the manufacturer's claim that the reducer has a built-in anode.  Hott Rods have been around for a few decades so they should have perfected the anode portion of their product. 

Tars Tarka brings up another good point about household water heater anodes seem to live forever. I have experienced the same thing.  I might add that I have been RVing for about 50 years and have never had to replace an anode.  I guess the life of an anode varies greatly depending on the water used in an area.

I think the manufacturer is the best source of detailed information about their built-in anode.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

You must be right about the electrical connection, else why call it an anode, but then what about teflon tape around the threads?  Interesting question.

I haven't checked the anode in my home water heater since it was installed.  Not sure how long that's been.  A while...  I have thought to look at Lowe's, where I got the WH, and they either don't have any anodes or a very limited selection that doesn't include the one I need.  They seem to be a very low priority item in the big box home DIY stores.  Makes one wonder how important they really are.  I'm sure the stores would rather sell water heaters than anodes, so there's that too.

TT

Very good question.  Will have to do some research.

As for the big-box stores carrying anode rods for home heaters, they don't.  I tried to get one for my own heater just a few weeks ago and even had an employee walk down the aisle with me.  However, I do see one on HD's website, and they'll ship it free to your local store.  Cheaper than one I found on Amazon, too.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:39pm

Originally posted by hogone

confused...............what electrical connection on a anode rode is there............at least mine doesn't have one......maybe im missing something

It isn't 12 or 120 volts, it is a microvolt flow of electrons from the chemical reactions taking place between the anode rod, the water, and the walls of the water heater.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 8:36am
Originally posted by hogone

The connection is made through the plumbing threads on the plug.  Teflon tape fills the gaps but wears away where metal to metal contact is good making the connection.  My concern with one not connected is that it will not make a connection and just get covered with the sediment that forms in the heater.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 9:07am
Also.. if you live where the water is soft.. like Florida, an anode doesn't have much to do. If you live where I do, and the "water" is really just very very fine rocks, the anode does a whole lot. In our home water heater, I change out the anode every 4 years. The box stores don't have them, because most home owners do no PM on their homes. They would rather just buy a new WH when the old one fills with scale. But ALL the plumbing supply houses have them. No confusion about it when you walk up to the counter either.

For my reef aquarium, make up and top off water quality is very important, so I monitor our water. "Hard water" starts at 121mg/L, "very hard" is above 181mg/L. Ours fluctuates a bit through the year, and right now it's a bit "softer" than normal, when proccessing water Monday, my incoming water was around 385mg/L. I run a 6 stage RO/DI system I custom built to bring it down to 0-2mg/L. (my meter has a 2 point measurement.)

Monthly I open the flush valve on our WH and get a 1/2 cup or so of scale out. It used to be worse, but I lowered our tank temperature from 140F to 120F and that helped some.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>