Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThanksgiving Turkey help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanksgiving Turkey help
    Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 9:35pm
Just booked our reservations for Thanksgiving weekend...first time we've been able to ditch the family thing.  Even though it will just be two of us, we'd like to have turkey! Seeing as how limited sites were for the weekend, I know lots of you will be cooking your bird outside.  I'm looking for suggestions for cooking mine.  It will just be a turkey breast, about 4-5 pounds maybe.  

My options are the fire pit or my Weber charcoal grill (small kettle one).  We removed the microwave/convection oven in lieu of more storage space.

My first thought is that it can't be too different from cooking a pork butt.  I usually put the butt in the center of the grill and have 2 piles of coals on each side underneath.  I keep replenishing fresh charcoal until the butt is done.  About half way through I wrap it in foil to keep it from drying out and it turns out perfect every time.  Wouldn't a turkey breast do well this same way?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 5:24am
I have cooked a bunch of turkeys on a Webber just that way and they turn out great. I bet a breast would be fine also.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:26am
I have done numerous turkeys and turkey breasts on the grill.  One suggestion I would have for you is to make sure to put a pan underneath it and put in your favorite liquid (water, cider, beer, wine, etc) which will generate steam and help keep it really moist while cooking.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 10:15pm
I am doing a Turkey breast on my Big Green Egg. I will use the plate setter which is a ceramic plate with legs that goes between the coals and the grill, this keeps the hot coals from being too close to the breast and makes it more like a convection oven. I am debating what type of smoking wood to use, apple (from my trees) mesquite or hickory, I am leaning toward mesquite. any suggestions ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:18am
You can bring a pot and fry the turkey Cajun style. About 3 min per pound. Inject it first with your favorite mojo.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 6:07pm
Personally, I'd just wrap the turkey breasts in a big, flat tinfoil pocket.  Add herbs of your choice and a tablespoon or two of butter.  Cook on the grill for 20 minutes (10 minutes longer if its quite thick, or if you end up getting legs), turning every five minutes.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Personally, I'd just wrap the turkey breasts in a big, flat tinfoil pocket.  Add herbs of your choice and a tablespoon or two of butter.  Cook on the grill for 20 minutes (10 minutes longer if its quite thick, or if you end up getting legs), turning every five minutes.

Much easer and great for just breasts...
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 9:14pm
Thanks for all the tips.  We got home today from a successful, albeit cold, Thanksgiving trip.  We had our big meal Saturday and it all turned out great.  I did the turkey breast on the Weber using indirect heat. Once the skin browned up nicely I covered it with foil for the remainder of the cooking time.  I did a green bean casserole in my new Dutch Oven (first time cooking with one!). I used the disposable liners since I did some Brown & Serve rolls after the casserole was done then put a pineapple upside down cake in as soon as the rolls were done.  I made scalloped potato's (from a box) and gravy (from a packet) on the Coleman stove.  The entire meal was great! I also made a chicken pot pie in the dutch oven this weekend.  I only wish I had started using one of these things a long time ago.  It greatly increases our meal options while camping.  My only complaint about the whole trip was the cold.  Lows were in the low to mid 30's and highs only in the mid to upper 40's.  We were warm as could be in the pod and the dome was fairly comfortable when the sun was out.   This was the coldest trip for us and the first weekend in November was our longest trip (distance wise).  We pulled the pod 4 1/2 hours to Myrtle Beach. I was quite nervous but it turned out to be a great trip.  We stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park and were very pleased with it.  We have the Pod winterized now, sadly our season is over.  We will be counting down the days until our first trip next year.  Happy Holidays to all my friends here in the forum.

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
 Post Reply Post Reply