R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLow point drain 178 - Event Date: 10 Nov 2013 - 30 Nov 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Low point drain 178
    Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 6:48pm
Being neurotic about freezing up the Pod I blow the system out then pump the pink stuff.  I want to be sure that no water is standing anywhere to freeze.  I know folks that blow out the system and don't use the pink stuff and have no problems, and those who pump the pink stuff through and don't blow out the water first and have no problems.

I have never opened the low point drains other than the one on the water tank.  The air and the pink stuff takes care of the low points in the lines for me.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I have never opened the low point drains other than the one on the water tank.  The air and the pink stuff takes care of the low points in the lines for me.

Undiluted RV antifreeze is supposed to protect pipes to minus 50.  I don't know how well it mixes in the bottom of a still pipe.  Probably well enough.  But due to their location and purpose, the low point drains are probably the most susceptible to freeze damage of any thing on the pod. If the drains do burst they'd be cheap to fix.  Maybe a little trouble, dealing with insulation.  How do you flush the antifreeze without opening the low point drains though?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 7:49pm
I am with Keith N Dar, I use a blow out plug to clean the pressure water inlet but then I go under the sink, switch the valve on the water pump and pump the pink r.v. antifreeze through the system. this is after you take out the anode rod on the water heater, replace or retape it and switch the bypass valves on the water heater. It only takes about 30 to 50 minutes to winterize the system and it sure beats making expensive plumbing repairs. sleep tight little pod. spring is around the corner.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by dsmiths

. spring is around the corner.
sh*t, I wish!  We are just now preparing for four months of no sun. 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Undiluted RV antifreeze is supposed to protect pipes to minus 50.  I don't know how well it mixes in the bottom of a still pipe.  Probably well enough.  But due to their location and purpose, the low point drains are probably the most susceptible to freeze damage of any thing on the pod. If the drains do burst they'd be cheap to fix.  Maybe a little trouble, dealing with insulation.  How do you flush the antifreeze without opening the low point drains though?TT

When I am done with the air there is no water in the system, so the pink stuff is pure in the lines. In spring I fill up the tank and start the pump, then run the water in each location until they run clear. Pink stuff gone.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 8:33pm
FWIW I shared what I do. If anyone wants to use the low point drains then they should. FR puts them on the pods for a purpose, and I don't want to have anyone not do what they feel is the right way to winterize just because of the way I do it. It has worked for me but YMMV.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 9:15pm
I'm going with the Wisconsin folks! That's like close to the arctic circle. They know cold!

I do think, however, the best way to winterize is to go south!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 10:46pm
Aside from the FW tank drain, I have 2 low point drains that point straight down with caps.  I ALWAYS opened and drain them.  I blow out the lines first, then drain them, then add pink stuff.  It usually only gets down to 20 degrees for a week in GA, but I'd be concerned that the small amount of water would freeze and cause damage. Blowing the lines out with air doesn't clear those downward pipes. It takes about 2 minutes to do it ... Better safe than sorry.

I moved south from the NE ... But not south enough!Tongue
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 11:54pm

When I am done with the air there is no water in the system, so the pink stuff is pure in the lines. In spring I fill up the tank and start the pump, then run the water in each location until they run clear. Pink stuff gone.

You might be surprised if you were to open the low point drains after you blow out the lines and before you put any antifreeze in.  Not saying your method doesn't work.  Obviously it does.  Probably mostly due to diluted antifreeze and the Pex tubing, or whatever it is the pipes are made of, that tolerates at least some freezing without bursting.  The drains are like appendixes though; water doesn't circulate in them and you can't blow them out without opening them. 

For what it's worth, the caps on my drains are only hand-tight.  No tools needed to open or close them.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 7:03am
a couple questions when blowing lines out.  do you just turn on all the faucets and pull the toilet handle all at once or one at a time?  also i recall last year after i finished pumping af through the system, the last thing i did was open the two low water drains and quite a bit of clear water came out prior to the pink stuff, so there definitely is some left over water down there.  
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>