R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic > All Things Sports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's get some Sports Chatter going !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What Major Professional Sport do you follow ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.00%]
7 [35.00%]
1 [5.00%]
9 [45.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's get some Sports Chatter going !
    Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 9:51am
You may vote for as many as you want.

Follow up by listing your favorite teams, your arch enemies, your hopes and dreams, et cetera.  Personal
anecdotes and reminiscences are encouraged.  And by all means, start new threads for everyone to jump
in on.  SmileTongueSmile
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:04am
Pretty evident from the World Series thread that I am a Red Sox fan.  Somewhat ironic in that until I was
six or seven years old I was a Boston Braves fan !

Much later in life Joyce and I lived within walking distance of Fenway Park, and would go to evening
games on the spur of the moment, never having a problem picking up tickets on the way in.  Roof-top
seats on the first base line for $30. or so-  Try that today !!!

I have also followed the Patriots from their beginnings.  Lots of frustrating seasons for both teams until
the last decade or so !

New York Yankees Dead  New York Jets Dead

I just can't seem to relate to any of the teams in our new home state.  I don't wish them ill, but I don't
find anything to root for either.  I thought they might grow on me, but after almost 30 years, it doesn't
look like it's going to happen.....

Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:26am

My wife and I grew up not following any sports.  I vaguely kept track of the Orioles, going to an occasional game with my Grandmother who was an avid fan and had good seats near home plate... until the big strike in the 90's.  My wife and I continued going to a game or two a year when we started dating.  I first told her I loved her at the game where Ripken tied the record at 2130 games.  While the 2131 game was sold out and made all the press, I felt the 2130 game was the real news so spur of the moment we decided to go - believe it or not that game had a lot of empty seats.  So while we weren't huge fans that game was pretty big for both of us for several reasons.

I swore I wouldn't follow football after the NFL basically forced out the CFL Stallions, which had tried to fill the void left by the Colts.  I didn't follow them but I thought the CFL was good competition for the NFL.  So probably the only Ravens game I watched was the 2000 championship.  Then for reasons I can't explain about 5 years ago my wife and I suddenly became avid fans in less than a season.  We started hosting game day get-togethers soon after and usually have 1-2 other families over every Sunday.  We had about 25 people packed in for this last Super Bowl.

Since I didn't grow up with football in my blood I'm still learning all the nuances of the game.  I'm on both sides of the fence on the concussion issue.  Figures I finally get into the game and now there's a moral argument for giving it up.  Five years ago that would have been an easy decision.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:30am
We are huge Boston Bruins fans!!! and of course the WORLD Champion Boston Red Sox! Though we live in Vermont now, we both grew up on Cape Cod and always followed the Boston teams.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:36am

Speaking of Ripken, if you are a fan of Ripken and are driving north on I-83 through Hunt Valley, MD (home of McCormick and Fila), you can hop off and drive right past his home in about 5 minutes.  Head west on Shawan Rd to the light, then go straight at the light where the road will change names to Tufton.  Two minutes later you'll make a hard left on a curve, then a hard right where Dover Rd comes in.  The big gates and house on your left are his, all along the left side of Dover Rd.  The unnamed "road" you see at this link is his driveway.  If you switch to map view you'll see his house and... a baseball diamond.  

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hunt+valley,+md&aq=&sll=38.893596,-77.014576&sspn=0.313173,0.441513&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hunt+Valley,+Cockeysville,+Baltimore,+Maryland&ll=39.492856,-76.738343&spn=0.004852,0.006899&t=m&z=17

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 1:10pm
Go Pack Go!  I'm a homer.  Cheesehead born and bred...'til dead.

Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and of course the Packers.  Tough at times,  but I always remain loyal.  Also an avid Tar Heels college basketball fan, unless they play Bucky Badger.  Also root for Matt Kenseth for Nascar racing...like I said..homer, always cheer the cheeseheads.

X
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Racer|X|

Go Pack Go!  I'm a homer.  Cheesehead born and bred...'til dead.

Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and of course the Packers.  Tough at times,  but I always remain loyal.  Also an avid Tar Heels college basketball fan, unless they play Bucky Badger.  Also root for Matt Kenseth for Nascar racing...like I said..homer, always cheer the cheeseheads.

X

Me too, except the Tar Heels.  Go Bucky!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
JACKPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 4:30pm
We vote for Golf!!!!
Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
The Tweeners View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 8:05pm
I know this isn't going to be popular but I love soccer! We watch a lot of English Premier Games (MLS is too slow). Our daughter has played soccer for years and some of our greatest memories were during tournament weekends that we would travel all over Florida and as far north as North Carolina. My favorite EPL team is Liverpool and my favorite player is Steven Gerrard because he is gets the job done without being cocky or showy.

My husband is more of a baseball fan than I am (again its too slow for my liking). He played baseball @ Florida State back in the 70s. We enjoy watching FSU football, especially this year!

As for NFL I'd have to say I'm a Ravens fan but enjoy watching Peyton Manning wherever he plays.

Tweeners
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by JACKPOD

We vote for Golf!!!!

Absolutely !!!

If I had asked "what sport do you primarily participate in" my answer would have been golf.

I also enjoy watching televised coverage, but I have to admit that it is usually a major tournament or the
Ryder / President's Cup matches.  (Lately I have been interested in some of the FedEx Cup playoffs.)

The advent of HD TV has made golf a much more attractive viewing experience.

Anybody care to debate whether professional golfers are true "athletes" ???  

Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>