FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThat hurt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: That hurt
    Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 12:30am
That really hurt.

I put our rPod in storage last weekend. The good part is that our friends recently bought a hobby ranch with some huge outbuildings, and they invited us to store our camper there. That way, we have access to it whenever we need to ease our postpartem depression.

Our last camping trip was the best of the season. We drove a little more than a hundred miles north to William O'Brien State Park. Colors were just slightly past peak, and we took a scenic route that was intermittantly gorgeous. The weather turned a bit sour as we got closer to the park; but we were able to setup without any rain. Shortly after, the sky looked pretty threatening.

We took our dogs for a short walk in sort of a cold drizzle that helped us decide to treat ourselves to a restaurant meal rather than preparing food at our soggy campsite. So, we put the dogs in their crates under the rDome, where they would stay nice and dry, and drove the short distance that we would normally ride our bikes to the tiny neighboring town of Marine On St. Croix.

There are about 5 or 6 commercial establishments in this little town, including a tavern, a general store, an ice cream parlor, a coffee shop, and Olive's.

Olive's serves delicious stone-fired pizza, salads, wine and beer. It was an absolutely perfect place to come in from the cold night air.

By the time we finished dinner and returned to camp, the sky had cleared and things had dried enough to light a campfire. So, we sat around some reluctant flames that put out just enough heat to let us enjoy a couple more glasses of fermented favorites before turning in.

The rPod was toasty.

That was Saturday...certainly not bad, but pretty cold and damp in the middle. Sunday was a perfect Fall day from dawn 'til dusk, though it was still pretty brisk when we first woke up. My wife brewed coffee on the rPod stove while I prepared bacon and eggs on the Coleman outside.

After breakfast, we took the dogs for a walk, then got on our bicycles and rode just beyond the north edge of the park to a great roadside gift shop. We've probably camped at this park and visited this shop about a half-dozen times. They're always faithful about serving free sip-while-you-shop wine that lubricates those areas of our brains that make spontaneous buying decisions. Theresa bought a bird feeder as a housewarming gift for our friends (the folks with the new hobby ranch), and I bought a pair of expandable forks for the campfire.

From there, we rode the bike trail back south through the park and into Marine On St Croix again. This time we got some coffees and sat on the cafe patio to soak in as much of that beautiful day as we could. A couple bikers joined us at our table, and we swapped motorcycle stories until I could hardly stand the fact that I was nearing the end of my second season without one. Before leaving town, we stopped in the general store and bought a package of hotdogs.

Back at camp, we took another short walk or two with Tanner and Presley; but, mostly we just kicked back. We kept things simple for supper, too. Theresa heated some beans on the rPod stove, and I roasted hotdogs over the campfire with our handy new forks fully extended.

The fire did a more respectable job of warming things this time around; but, the nights are long in mid-October, so there was still time for a movie after the final flames burned out. We popped LOVE ACTUALLY into our micro-mini entertainment system and made ourselves comfortable around the dinette. It helped that we'd watched this movie a couple times before, because the tiny screen that can't quite tilt to the optimal angle only provides a suggestive glimps at what's really going on.

For once, our timing was perfect. Monday morning was so gray and cold that we didn't mind leaving. Still, we were able to break camp without even a sprinkle.

For two-nighters, this is a formula we should use more often: make camping reservations for Saturday and Sunday, and take Monday off for the trip home. That leaves the park almost completely to ourselves on Sunday. We'll just have to try that again next year.

Sam

2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:11am
Looks like you had a great last trip out this year!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:33am
Love leaving on Mondays when we can.  Parks are so lovely on Sunday nights!  I love the quiet of it.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 10:02am
And I thought you needed a boat to get to St. Croix! ;)

Sounds and looks like you you had a great last trip. Having just finished out first and probably last trip for the season in our new RPod, I am having a difficult time putting it "away" for the winter. It remains in our driveway for a quick getaway...and for some more mods! Heck, we haven't even taken the rDome out of its box.

Thank goodness this forum is available year round for some great virtual podding!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by fwunder

And I thought you needed a boat to get to St. Croix! ;)

Sounds and looks like you you had a great last trip. Having just finished out first and probably last trip for the season in our new RPod, I am having a difficult time putting it "away" for the winter. It remains in our driveway for a quick getaway...and for some more mods! Heck, we haven't even taken the rDome out of its box.

Thank goodness this forum is available year round for some great virtual podding!

"Virtual podding" indeed.

Do take your rDome out of its box. An rPod without its rDome is like a pole without a flag.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 7:43pm
Sammycamper, what a perfect trip. all the good things, pod, nice little bistro, wine, camp fires, movie and sleep time. it does not get any better than that. ours is put up and waiting for next spring. we need to branch out a little. nice post.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 8:55am
Always good to get in one last trip!!
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
 Post Reply Post Reply