R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstabilizer jack question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: stabilizer jack question
    Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 2:54pm
I just replaced one of the stabilizer jacks on my pod (I backed into a low post) and was expecting the two screws holding the jack on but discovered that it was also welded to the frame. I cut the welds and attached the new jack with the two screws. What I'm wondering is if I need to add a few tack welds. Seems like overkill but what do I know.   
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 4:18pm
Hey Dan, I too had a problem damaging stabilizers until I installed the risers. I also installed jack savers that allow me to remove the jacks easily for traveling.
   During the installation I had to cut the welds holding the stabilizers. After remounting the new jacks with the self tapping screws they didn't seem sturdy enough.  Instead of spot welding I opted to replace the self tapping screws with 5/16 bolts through the frame with nuts and washers .  I drilled through the frame and used tape to hold the nut tight to the wrench. I slid the wrench and nut into the end of the frame until it lined up with the hole. Started the bolt and held the nut with the wrench until I tightened it up.
    On the rear frame member I used a longer bolt and drilled clear through the frame and place a nut on top.  Mounting with bolts worked a lot better than the self tapping screws and no welding necessary.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 12:41pm
Thanks. I might try your nut and bolt method unless I can figure out how to get my pod close enough to my welder. The welder is 240 volts and I don't have an extension cord.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 6:32pm
I suspect the weld or bolt question is a matter of personal opinion, and how convenient welder (the equipment and the person) are.  I'd probably be more comfortable with welds myself.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply