R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnderson WDH and Prodigy 3 brake controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fj View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anderson WDH and Prodigy 3 brake controller
    Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:17am

$ 35.00 sounds tempting.  If my wife see this she won’t let me play in the shop (lol). 

2013 R pod 177 HRE
07 Toyota Fj
Fj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:11am

Thanks for all the input.   I ordered the Andersen WDH from Hitchsource.com today.  This company was recommended by the Anderson Ca. rep.  There located in Hood River Or.  Since I have the Hood River edition I figured this must be the place (lol).  The hitch part no. is 3324.  It will fit the 177 4” inch frame. Price was $450.00 No shipping or tax.  

I also ordered a trans cooler, Prodigy 3 and the wiring kit for my 07 Toyota fj from Etrailer.com.   They have great customer service and also installation videos.

I still have at least 3 weeks till the trailer comes in.  I will let you know how it all works.  Thanks to you all again for your suggestions and experience, it was a big help.

2013 R pod 177 HRE
07 Toyota Fj
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:01pm
For trailer wiring, you might want to check with your local U-Haul dealer.  They installed our controller, for $35.  The Tahoe already came with the wiring harness inside the vehicle.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:20am
Hi all, I always seem to come late to the "party", not enough computer "surf" time I suppose.

I have an Andersen WDH, for my 181G, it works great, looks high tech, easy to install, and it reduces the tongue weight by a significant amount. As an added bonus if you remove the entire hitch at a campground, it's small size and light weight makes it easier to store at the campsite as well. One note of caution, Andersen says you don't need to lubricate the ball, but it "squeaks" going over bumps if you don't.   

NOTE: you may have to relocate the break-away switch on the left frame rail about 4" to the rear, to make room to mount the frame clamp. Easy enough to do, but be forewarned. You may want to shorten the WDH chains too, so they don't drag, losing the extra weight won't hurt either.

I had a Prodigy 2, and it worked fine. When I bought my new TV, I didn't want to drill holes in it so I opted for a Prodigy RF, it works just as well, powered from a "power port", (cigarette lighter for us oldies) and can be stored in the console when not in use.

If you opt for the Prodigy RF, the box will mount just in front of the left side frame clamp and all the wires will reach their sockets easily. When you mount the receiver box, the frame rail is harder than the hex head screws they enclose, so the threads "roll" off. (at least mine was) I drilled and tapped the frame and mounted it with 3/4"-1/4" X 20 stainless allen head bolts. Just a little more security, allen and torx bolts still baffle the simpleton thieves in most areas.

All for your information.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:26am
I have a 2011 172, the frame is 3".
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Fj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 8:38pm

Do you know what size the frame is on the pods?  The Andersen # 3324 Weight Distribution Hitch – 4" drop/rise, 2" ball, universal frame brackets fits the following size frames (3", 4", 5" & 6").

2013 R pod 177 HRE
07 Toyota Fj
Fj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 1:41am

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.  It is appreciated.  

2013 R pod 177 HRE
07 Toyota Fj
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 6:20pm
I have a 2010 FJ.  I'm not sure what you mean by a tow package.  Mine came with the wires run to the back for a 4-pin connector but I had to install the actual plug. 4-pin connectors don't have a brake pin, so yes, you will have to do some slightly fancy wiring to get a brake wire to the back and yes, pods do use a 7-pin Bargeman connector.

I have a 2010 176 Rpod and have put around 3000 miles on it with no weight distributing hitch and no hint of why I'd need one.  I do highly recommend hooking up the brakes though. I have a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller and am quite happy with it.  It's work flawlessly, but what I like most about it is it makes the trailer brakes work.  I've pulled a lot of trailers without brakes and was used to the stress and caution.  Trailer brakes really take a load of your mind.  I'm sure a WDH might do the same, but I just haven't seen it yet.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 3:14pm
   I was on the Lance owners forum and there were several using the Anderson hitch and were very happy with it. I think the hitch is becoming very popular some dealers have not been able to keep it in stock. I think it would be a good choice. Have not tried it myself so I am unable to compare it to the Equalizer that we are using now. But if I were to buy a new hitch the Anderson could be the one I would chose.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 2:50pm
When I first picked up my pod I used a 7 pin to 4 pin because that's what was on my old xterra. The new tacoma already had the 7 pin connector installed as part of the tow package. My old tacoma '09 had just the 4 pin connector and would have required the installation of the seven pin with all the associated extra wiring for the battery and brake controller. My toyota dealer would not do the installation.

You might look into the prodigy wireless brake controller. That, I think, would only require the 4 pin connector. However, with a 4 pin connector there would be no battery feed from your TV to the pod. Not a real problem in most cases. The pod battery should be able to run the fridge for a day.

The andersen hitch is rated for 14,000 pounds, so it is heavy duty.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>