FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Dome white snaps - Event Date: 22 Oct 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R Dome white snaps
    Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Broz

Hey KY Mooses any good camping area down by you - looking at Veterans day weekend - Nov 9 through 11. Computers are cool -

Kentucky in general or actually near the 'ville area?  The MoosePod adventure map in my signature here has all the places we've been too and our favorite sites at it.  But narrow the area a bit and I could give some suggestions for sure.  Although a lot of the good places are closed for the season.
Broz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 11:10pm
How is the Louisville KOA South off of I-65 exit 117?
Broz form IL
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:56am

How is the Louisville KOA South off of I-65 exit 117?

Ya know we've never actually stayed there, but it is just right down the road.  I think the DW and I will run down the road today and do a drive through of it and report back to you. 

I'll even scope out some of the better looking sites!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 3:03pm
Okay just got back from there.  As with usual and KOA's in my opinion they are a bit pricey, aroundabout 40+ a night, but that isn't too unusual.

Ice prices were reasonable in camp and the store seemed decent enough.  Staff didn't immediately strike me as nice and friendly.  The lady wasn't too accommodating or friendly with info in general.

Has a very nice hot tub/spa that is open year round.  That was nice and warm, I kind liked that.

The sites themselves, for my liking they are all a bit close together.  Full hookup sites are closer to one another than the just water and electric sites.  Some sites do have water all year round on them.

I'd personally pick the water and electric sites only because they were a bit more spacious if you can call them that, but some had few other sites around them in some places.

The whole campground is pretty much a big gravel lot, with small patches of grass every now and then and some trees.  I wouldn't call it shaded at all, and you're likely to just be sitting in gravel during your stay instead of having much of a grass patch to put your chairs out on.

I can't say it would be on the top of any of my lists for a destination.  Although my wife got real cozy with the idea of staying there next weekend and spending nights in the hot tub.  

LOLLOLLOL

Broz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:11pm
Any other camp grounds that would be open that weekend that you would recommend? We are coming down to do the Bourbon Trail. We have been wanting to do it but with the old camper we had to pack it in do to the small size. Thank you for checking out the KOA ground.
Broz form IL
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 8:48am

Any other camp grounds that would be open that weekend that you would recommend? We are coming down to do the Bourbon Trail. We have been wanting to do it but with the old camper we had to pack it in do to the small size. Thank you for checking out the KOA ground.

I would have recommended the one at my Old Kentucky Home in Bardstown but they close this week.  That would have put you in a great spot for the Bourbon Trail!

I have never stayed here but there is

Which is right in Bardstown, so that again would put you right in the middle of hitting a lot of the trail sites.

Uhm Holt's Campground is also right there outside of B-town.  I've driven past that one a million times, it has a decent look to it especially if you are daytripping the Trail sites each day.

Other than that if you wanted to stay there in Shepherdsville, same exit as that Koa, you could try Grandma's RV Park.  It's a paved RV park with level gravel sites, but it's 100% just an RV park.  It's a nice, clean, giant flat RV park with free wifi.  It does draw a lot of people who are daytripping the Bourbon Trail.  I've talked to them several times and they always tell me how much business they do because of the Bourbon Trail tourists.

So that's 3 options.  The first one is a Good Sam park so if you have that membership that'd be nice.  

I might recommend one of the 2 in Bardstown, I think that'd make a great central location to hit all of your spots.  You'd be within minutes of downtown Bardstown which has some nice local attractions on it's own.  And then literally minutes from Heaven Hill.  Maker's Mark would then be, uhm.  Well I'm a local so I could be there in about 25 minutes or so.  Maker's Mark is gorgeous this time of year.

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 8:49pm
Donna and I did the Woodford Reserve tour and it was very enjoyable. We didn't have the pod with us but I think that would be a good weekend. podding and touring on the bourbon trail.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 8:53pm
Mooses, I followed your link and that looks like a neat place to stay. set up the pod and do the Bourbon trail. (no drinking and driving please) that would make a good weekend and it is close to home for us to.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:59am
All the distillery's are gorgeous in the winter.

Maker's Mark is wonderfully decorated and has candlelit tours and  sometimes and ice skating rink set up and lots of great stuff.  Always been partial to it since I grew up near it, but yes it's a great idea for a weekend Podding trip for anyone who is near enough to do it.

Just the history and tours alone are great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12