R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElevate wheels for long-term storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevate wheels for long-term storage
    Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by P&M

Someone please help me understand this ... why would you want to jack up the Pod completely off the ground over the winter?

I believe I saw in another thread the concern that some people with a Pod with a long storage time on bare ground could have damaged tires. Because of this SOME people raise tires off ground / remove them.  When I lived in Northeast, I just drove wheels onto two short 2x12 boards.

I have a short storage time in Ga (4-5 mos) and mine is stored on asphalt without lifting.

This thread was on HOW to lift and block a RPod ... No discussion on WHY.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Bill-GA

This thread was on HOW to lift and block a RPod ... No discussion on WHY.

I never saw the other thread, so that was why I was asking the "why" part ... thanks!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:39am
Yeah, I asked the original question...and the reason was, as was said by Bill, I heard that you don't want to keep your trailer wheels parked in the same position all winter long, as I have 'heard' that it will wear flat spots on your wheels, plus the tires would stay 'moist' by being on the ground/gravel (and I had also 'heard' somewhere that even by leaving the tires in place on concrete or asphalt, that tends to 'bleed moisture', thus moisture starts the tires rotting). Hence the reason I asked how to elevate the trailer, or if using scissor jacks would work.

Maybe I could just move the pod a little bit every few weeks?

Approve

There's only one way...
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 12:29pm
That will work.  When we lived in NW Indiana, we had a new motor home.  Every few weeks I would exercise the generator for about 20 minutes and moved the MH a few feet.  This was very common practice up there.  And, be sure to use tire covers whenever you are not using your pod.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:04pm
New RV product? If moisture under the wheels is the problem how about a plastic wheel pad with holes in it to drain any water?

Sleepless, Why are wheel covers needed?
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 11:45pm
The use of wheel covers (aka tire covers) whenever an RV is in storage is recommended to protect the tires from UV rays, ozone, other environmental elements and industrial fumes.  They are used not just in the southern states, but we used them year-round in the Midwest.  I personally apply a rubber protectant to my tires every time I wash my vehicles and trailer.  When the trailer goes into storage, on go the covers.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 2:43am
Originally posted by P&M

Someone please help me understand this ... why would you want to jack up the Pod completely off the ground over the winter?

I'll bet he has it stored outside on the ground.  Trying to keep the tires out of standing water.  Other folks think that long term parking creates flat spots on the tires.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:45am
bill, i think your on to something!!!
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:05am
To raise or not to raise?  If you do a Google on this you will find many adverse opinions.  I did not want to sound argumentative in my earlier posts, but here are some facts that can not be ignored.  Years ago it was common practice to elevate tires because they were prone to develop flat spots and sometimes the sidewalls would develop cracks or checking.  These were during the age of bias tires which were also constructed of materials inferior to today's materials.  Back in the 50's, I once purchased inexpensive tires and they were completely worn out after less than 15,000 miles.  Today, I can normally get 50,000 miles out of a set of tires.

Modern radial tires are an entirely different breed.  They no longer have that tendency to develop flat spots and if properly inflated have a much longer life and if they receive a protectant periodically and are kept covered during prolonged storage will remain crack-free for years.  In my early days of camping, my pup tires sometimes developed sidewall bulges and had a normal life of only 3 or 4 years, regardless of mileage.  They seldom wore out, just deteriorated. 

Here in Florida, we have the snowbirds that often set up camp in their 5th wheels and motor homes, staying in the same camp siite for about 6 months every year.  You don't see any of these with their wheels elevated, most just keep their tires covered for protection.  Yet, their tires do not seem to suffer from setting on the ground and not being moved for this prolonged period of time.

When it comes to caring for an RV, I turn to Bob Livingston who is considered the guru of RV repair and maintenance.  For 40 years he has been testing RVs, writing technical articles for Motor Home and Trailer Life magazines, and has written several books on understanding and caring for recreational vehicles. 

Here is an excerpt from his book, which I consider my RV bible:
"Tires subjected to the elements (especially strong sunshine) should be treated every month with a good protectant like 303.  A good quality protectant will have UV blockers and help slow down cracking and crazing and, in general,rubber compound breakdown. If the RV is going to be stored outside, cover the tires with plywood or special covers made of vinyl. Tires do not have to be lifted off the ground during the storage period."

Like I said, you will find many divergent opinions about whether you should elevate your tires or not.  Do what you feel is best, just be aware that tires are not the same animal they were a few decades ago.

Sorry for the long post.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:22am
Great info Sleepless ... thanks for sharing!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>