Topic Closedtrip this September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: trip this September
    Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:28am
Yeah, you visit the canyon from above. It is more like the side of a high plateau,in other words, it is not like the Grand Canyon. You have to hike down to get in amongst the towering rock formations which are totally bizarre.
Bryce was one of our primary reasons for the trip. We also went to Arches, Navajo Monument, Cedar Breaks, Zion, Yellowstone and other great places. The scenery is fabulous and definitely recommended although if you go, make lots of time for there is so much to see.
We did some great hikes, some of them quite challenging, but it was worth it. This was September, to avoid the summer crowds but it was still very busy in places.

I dumped my wife, dog and cat in Vegas for a couple of days while I went to LA to market a movie script, so it was a partial business trip.

We wisely bought an annual National pass entering Yellowstone which saved us a lot on fees along the way. Highway 263 in SE Utah is the craziest road I have ever driven. Do not try to tow even an R-Pod up or down it. It is possible but not for the faint-hearted.
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:31am
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:33am
Oh, one other little fact: At Cedar Breaks, we were 10,460 feet ASL towing "Arnie".
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:47am
Beautiful photos. Its been over 40 years since I've been to Bryce. I'm ready to go back and have a pod just begging to go. Not so sure about the wife.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 6:37pm
uploads/1914/IMG_4336_2.jpg

Here is a view of the crazy Highway 261 in SE Utah, near Mexican Hat. Approaching, you are faced with what looks like an un-scaleable rock wall. We took Arnie a different route next day. Possible only with a Pod and steely nerves. (leave wife behind)
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by ilthyn

uploads/1914/IMG_4336_2.jpg

Here is a view of the crazy Highway 261 in SE Utah, near Mexican Hat. Approaching, you are faced with what looks like an un-scaleable rock wall. We took Arnie a different route next day. Possible only with a Pod and steely nerves. (leave wife behind)
Yup, been there on our way north from Monument Valley pulling an 18' Aljo with an S10. Gulped pretty hard when we met people coming down as we were climbing. That was several years ago. Is it paved now?
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 10:12am
No it becomes gravel still at the bottom to the top. Funny thing is, there is a warning at the bottom, but there is about 30 miles of paved road at the top but no warning at the north west end so you could drive the 30 miles before you realize you don't really want to be there.ConfusedOuch
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 5:56pm
Wife and I were out in Utah Sept of 11. Drove out through Kansas and Colorado to Colorado Nat Mon, down the west side of Colorado through Gateway Canyon down to Four Corners, then into Arizona a bit and back into Utah west of Bryce Canyon. We stayed in a KOA Kabin in Cannonville Utah for a week.  We were kind of concerned about staying a whole week in one place..................Wink
While there we did Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Kodachrome Basin State Park, Grosvenors Arch (sp), Anasazi State Park, Long Slot Canyon off of Scenic Highway 12 (if in Utah, DON'T MISS Scenic Hy 12). On our way out we went through Capital Reef Nat Park. (mostly in the rain) Rain in Utah is beautiful with all the temporary water falls every where! Then out through Flaming Gorge Nat Rec Area , Ten Sleep Wy on up to Miles City Montana and then down the long I 94 home.  Unhappy  We did stop at Teddy Roosevelt Nat Park but didn't spend much time there.  (That's another good place to spend a day or three)
That Cannonville KOA (and the KOAs the next two years) are the cause of the Pod Purchase.Wink

We have the fullest intentions of going back out to Utah. Beautiful country out there. It's just a long trip, 4500 or so miles for us.

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12