R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod Sidewall Leak and Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod Sidewall Leak and Repair
    Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:05pm
I have a 2010 176T which I bought used in early 2012.  I noticed some 'rippling' of the vinyl wallpaper over my left side window.  I didn't think much about it until the spring of 2013 (I had the factory recall for lights late in 2012).  I began to see more rippling and some small bubbles appearing in vinyl covering above and below window.  I called Forest River and verified they could send me some new, matched sticky vinyl, then boldly began to cut vinyl to expose the damage. It was pretty bad and I cut and exposed every thing that was wet a mushy!  I also cut out layers of the plywood (1/16") that had come away from the existing wall.  After it was all exposed I went outside, and caulked all the rear and corner seams.  I then decided to leave the inside open to dry ... and to verify it would stay dry.  I camped all summer 2013 and kept checking that it stayed dry.

Last week,  I decided to begin the repair.  I experimented with wood glue and 1/16" bass wood sections I purchased at Hobby Lobby. Wood Glue curled the bass wood and fell off.  I decided to use Contact Cement which worked great!  Since the vinyl had come off with a thin (1/64"?) layer of plywood, I decided to use BONDO (called by other names) to feather the repaired edges.  I REALLY got bold and decide to actually create a tin layer of Bondo across the entire patch job.  Caution: I have worked with this material in MANY home fixes and it is extremely hard to use as it literally begins to cure in TWO minutes.  If you try to use this, please experiment first and get used to working with it.

I went with probably 5 layers (with minimal to no sanding) before I was happy.  There was some "red bleeding" onto adjacent vinyl which I covered with new vinyl.  I will add several pictures and comments in a single post in a few minutes.  I welcome all comments or other experiences.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:51pm
 Repair of a 2010 176T - Top left after bad vinyl and plywood  taken  off. Window trim removed.
Bottom Left after vinyl / plywood taken off.

Close up showing removed plywood.

Patch plywood using Contact Cement and first feathering with Bondo

Top with plywood replacements and first Bondo feathering. 

Bottom showing final coat of Bondo. Overlap of Red coloring was covered with new vinyl.

Finished with new vinyl applied. No bubbles or ripples.  Trim (& blinds) to be re-installed.

Bill & Bev
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:53am
It looks like a job well done!  I'm glad you live close to Florida in case I ever need that kind of work done on my Pod!Big smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:37am
Originally posted by TerryM

I'm glad you live close to Florida in case I ever need that kind of work done on my Pod!Big smile

Terry

My Rpod was originally purchased by first owner in FL. I purchased it in Macon, GA. My sister lives in St. Augustine and we usually visit once a year.Smile If you see a 176T, give a wave.
Bill & Bev
 Post Reply Post Reply