Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDodge Caravan transmission discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodge Caravan transmission discussion
    Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:53pm

Edit from Techntrek: At a member's request, I'm moving this discussion from the "Pictures of tow vehicles..." thread.

Original partial post from TrinityTurret:
Question for you: Doesn't your van 'groan' while pulling above 1,500 RPM's? Ours is equipped with the transmission cooler, and engine temp stays in the middle...normal...but we get above 1,500 RPM's and the engine 'groans', or 'roars', as if we were 'flooring it'. Is this normal?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not seem normal to roar. You may be pulling with a Caravan, but you may also need transmission work in the near future.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 4:01pm
By 'roar' I mean it sounds like 'passing gear', or the same 'roar' you hear when giving the van more gas while trying to pass while going up a hill...
There's only one way...
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 9:08pm
Your transmission is probably downshifting out of overdrive.  You cannot tow in overdrive.  You must select the next range down to regular "drive" less you risk ruining your transmission.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 9:29pm
We have "park, neutral, reverse, and drive". No 'overdrive'...
There's only one way...
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 9:56pm
This quote is directly out of the owner's manual for your Caravan: If frequent shifting occurs while in DRIVE, use the Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control to select a lower gear range. NOTE: Selecting a lower gear range while operating the vehicle under heavy operating conditions will improve performance and extend transmission life by reducing excessive shifting and heat buildup. This action will also provide better engine braking.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Ivinest

Your transmission is probably downshifting out of overdrive.  You cannot tow in overdrive.  You must select the next range down to regular "drive" less you risk ruining your transmission.
It is OK to tow in overdrive, as long as the transmission doesn't "hunt gears", shifting in and out of OD frequently. We have 140k miles on our Expy, almost all of them while towing. It's always in OD.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:03pm
It seems to tow fine on level roads...but coming back through Ohio and Kentucky on them thar hills from Couchs (yep), it was lower gears...then level offf...then more downshifting...then level...then more down, etc etc. It's that way when the wind blows also, LOL...

There's only one way...
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 8:20am
I agree; if there is no shifty business when towing in drive (overdrive) then there is no need to select to a lower range. However we are talking about two very different tow vehicles here. A Caravan is a far cry from an Expedition and also front wheel drive. Let me try to clarify something: All late model Caravans have a torque converter lockup feature when the conditions are right, coupling the drive train direct in the highest gear. This feature is determined by the onboard computer and is designed for fuel economy. The computer will release the lockup feature when it senses a more than average load and result in the transmission downshifting and the engine racing (hense the roar). This can be prevented by simply selecting a lower gear range (normal drive) which will essentially prevent the computer from locking up the torque converter in the first place. So, how do I know these things? I am a retired automotive technology instructor with a lifetime of auto mechanics, dealership service management and thirty years instructing.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:59pm
I agree they are very different vehicles.. and yet the owners manuals say the same thing.. "if it hunts gears, take it out of overdrive" so if it's not hunting, but just down shifting as needed, no reason to not use OD.

Now.. the Expy.. she don't hunt gears with either the Pod or the Airstream. No doubt whatever conditions might cause it to do so, the Caravan will encounter sooner. But still no need for a blanket statement of "you cannot".
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 1:37pm
I quote my own post:  

"I agree; if there is no shifty business when towing in drive (overdrive) then there is no need to select to a lower range."  Mute issue.

I was only inferring in my original post, when towing you must not use overdrive when the transmission is constantly downshifting.  Of course you can do anything you want but run the risk of ruining your transmission, and in some cases causing engine damaged from over-revving.  Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>