R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda EU2000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda EU2000
    Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 8:01pm
Close to pulling the trigger on the Honda EU2000.  Emailed a couple of places in the US and they all state that Honda will not allow them to ship the Generator across the border to Canada, except one.  States that he has them CSA certified when bringing them across so it's not a problem.   Just really want to make sure I get the US version and not the Canadian.
Anywho, I'm not sure which one to go with.  Leaning towards getting the companion first, as it has the 30amp receptacle.  Wondering, are you able to charge the RV battery with the companion as with the non companion?  On the site it says there is a Honda generator charging cord availble, I'm assuming that it will work with the companion as well.  KNow that it may not be enough to get the AC up and running but may break down and purchase the other unit next year if I need it.  
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:18pm
I have no experience with Honda generators so I apologize for not answering your question, but I went with a Yamaha EF2400iSHC, which is enough to start and run my air con.  I think it's about the same price as the Honda 2000.  It comes with a 12v power cord for charging batteries.  I haven't use that, and I only have 40 or 50 hours on the Yamaha, but I'm very pleased with it.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:29pm
Good to know.  Thought seriously about the Yamaha but heard stories of some folks not being able to get their a/c's to start with it.  I would be thoroughly disappointed if I had purchase that one and have it not work.  At least with the Honda eu2000, it will run the basics, charge my battery and, I could end up buying the second one next year if I want that option.
I've read that, with the Yamaha it has a gas cut off switch and you are able to let it run out of gas.  I don't really get that, can't you do the same with the Honda?  I'm easily swayed by.  If I knew 100% that it would run the A/C, and was as quiet, I would seriously consider the Yammy.
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 10:00pm
Unless things are totally different in Canada than around here I guarantee you that even the quietist gen set will have to be shut down at the "quiet time" in campgrounds. Drunken fools can keep going but not gen sets.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Unless things are totally different in Canada than around here I guarantee you that even the quietist gen set will have to be shut down at the "quiet time" in campgrounds. Drunken fools can keep going but not gen sets.

The truth.
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:15pm
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:21pm
Fair enough and thanks for the heads up.  Some of the most beautiful campgrounds in BC have no hook ups and allow generators to run at certain hours throughout day.  If I'm there for a solid week, that means no battery.  
I've heard that the Hondas are very quiet.  Heard a generator at the last provincial park and it was very quiet, barely audible when walking past their site.   I know many RVers have them, and all I hear is how quiet they are.  
Anyway just wanted a little info if anyone out there has one.
Thanks
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:55am
Originally posted by bakes99

Close to pulling the trigger on the Honda EU2000.  Emailed a couple of places in the US and they all state that Honda will not allow them to ship the Generator across the border to Canada, except one.  States that he has them CSA certified when bringing them across so it's not a problem.   Just really want to make sure I get the US version and not the Canadian.
Anywho, I'm not sure which one to go with.  Leaning towards getting the companion first, as it has the 30amp receptacle.  Wondering, are you able to charge the RV battery with the companion as with the non companion?  On the site it says there is a Honda generator charging cord availble, I'm assuming that it will work with the companion as well.  KNow that it may not be enough to get the AC up and running but may break down and purchase the other unit next year if I need it.  

I would get the HONDA not the Yamaha. Honda has a fuel pump and with a special cap you can connect an outboard motor fuel tank. Here is cap.
See Special Cap Here

I have both the units and the Companion does not have 12V battery charge output. The 30A socket on the Companion only gives 30A when running in parallel with the main unit. But you can run the companion stand-alone with just the 20A socket.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
bakes99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:18am
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Believe the 12v charger is ordered separately from the actual units. Can I still use the 30amp receptical if I don't have the 2nd unit even though I won't be getting 30amps. Can I still plug the RV in to that and receive the same amt of power as the standard recept.?
RPOD 172 HRE & Ridgeline
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by bakes99

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Believe the 12v charger is ordered separately from the actual units. Can I still use the 30amp receptical if I don't have the 2nd unit even though I won't be getting 30amps. Can I still plug the RV in to that and receive the same amt of power as the standard recept.?

Yes, the 30A plug is connected and you can plug anything into it, you cannot however put more load on it than the unit can handle.

These Hondas have two run modes normal (high RPM) and ECO RPM matches load automatically. The problem with starting an A/C is that it must stay in high RPM mode all the time so the compressor can cycle.

When you parallel two units, then you can run both in ECO mode and save fuel. So it is cheaper to run two than one.

The 12 Charger is just a simple wire with connectors. The issue on the companion is no 12v Outlet as is on the Main unit. If I were you, I would not get the companion first.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>