R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator Woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator Woes
    Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:14pm
Last trip the fridge performed flawlessly-  this time, not so much.

Both instances were on shore power, and nothing else that we know of changed
from one trip to the other.  This outing the best the box could do was chill items
"cooler than ambient temperature".  I tried removing the freezer shelf / door 
in order to get better results, and it helped a little, but still not to the point I
would have liked.  I switched over to propane, and again there was a slight improvement
but not much.

Both the vent grill covers and their compartments were clear of obstructions.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:33pm
I noticed this my last trip out as well. I always set my temp setting at the coldest just to confirm and it was not working well.   I cycled through the temperture settings a couple of times and again back down to the coldest.  For some reason after doing this it performed flawlessly.  Honestly, not quite sure why.  I have also noticed that there have been times when I switch from battery to gas, it won't fire unless I turn the fridge completely off and then to gas.  Again, not sure why this is the case. Hope all this makes sense.   hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:36pm
Bob,

Good to see you are keeping Manatee Springs occupied while we are away camping in Colorado.

We also fight the fridge. Looks like the best it will do is 40 degrees below outside ambient in the fridge section. That means 50 degrees inside if it's 90 outside. Better if you take the freezer out, but then, no ice cream. Outside ambient includes the inside of the Pod if it's closed up such as when traveling. Freezer will maintain below 32 degrees, but that still leads to mushy IC. I have not confirmed any difference gas vs. electric so I've been leaving it on gas, even at the campsite, in case of power failure. Either way the recovery capability is zip so in and out traffic has to be minimized.

Camp on!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 3:50pm
In truck campers and travel trailers over the past 35 years I've had 5 Dometic and one Norcold fridge. The older ones were not very good, and the new ones are not one iota better. Manufacturers have just not improved their products with the times. My one Norcold seemed a little better than any of my Dometics, but friends have complained just as much about their Norcolds. Now ya wanna talk about what a fine air conditioner that Dometic producesThumbs Down? That company has done very little to earn my respect. Little competition from other manufacturers has not been good for us RV purchasers. End of rant!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:40pm
Thanks for the tips.  We can try them out while the 'Pod is in the barn awaiting our next trip.

We were wondering if an electric-only "dorm fridge" would fit in the same space, and if it would offer any
better performance than the triple power models.  We pretty much stick to spots with power and water, so
the lack of battery / propane operation is not a big deal.  I think I'll pull some measurements and browse
Amazon.  Maybe one will be advertised as "quick cool".  

BTW, +1 Kickstart!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:40pm
I have always had good experiences with the Norcold refrigerators and Coleman air conditioners.  But, Dometic refrigerators and air conditioners are another story.  My pod has Norcold and Coleman, so I am a happy camper.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:05pm
Non-stop problems with our fridge since July.  I thought I had fixed it after blowing out the burner assembly but the problem came right back.  I like figuring out problems - basically that's what I do at work - but I'm close to just dropping it off at a dealer and let them deal with it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by coopercdrkey

Thanks for the tips.  We can try them out while the 'Pod is in the barn awaiting our next trip.

We were wondering if an electric-only "dorm fridge" would fit in the same space, and if it would offer any
better performance than the triple power models.  We pretty much stick to spots with power and water, so
the lack of battery / propane operation is not a big deal.  I think I'll pull some measurements and browse
Amazon.  Maybe one will be advertised as "quick cool".  

BTW, +1 Kickstart!

Bob,

A few things to think about with a dorm fridge. They are motor-compressor systems. As such they make some noise at night in a quiet camper. They may also not be able to handle the vibration of the camper. Years ago small camper fridges were compressor driven, but they were designed for the environment. Lastly, you have no cooling while you're driving. Close in maybe OK, but longer trips probably not so.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:41pm

Today many dorm fridges use thermoelectric (Peltier) cooling systems, so the only noise is a cooling fan.  This is the same thing the electric coolers use, and both have the same problem.  They will cool X number of degrees below ambient, usually 40 F, so if the camper gets to 100 F while you are going down the road your food goes up to 60 F.  Better to find an old-school compressor-driven system.  They do make some noise but my old dorm fridge (now 23 years old) is fairly quiet.  And they will provide far more cooling power.

To run one on the road you could either add an inverter in the TV and run an extra plug up to the TV, or make suresure all wiring through the Bargeman is big enough and add the inverter inside the pod itself.  Again running a separate line from the fridge to the inverter's outlet.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:58pm
I think the units around 4 cu. ft. are still compressor types. Example Danby Company at Amazon. Some of the reviews talk about noise. Also, no spec on AC power so I don't know how much of an inverter would be required.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>