This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhich r-pod should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: which r-pod should I buy?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 8:52am
Just a point of possible interest.  My wife and I went on a 6000 mile trip in May-June, staying only at campgrounds with full hookups.  We kept the 110v on all the time, and never found a need to supplement it with the LP. 

In past trailers, we did the same thing, electricity only.  For heating, portable heater(s) only.  One tank of propane will last us at least 2 seasons.  But that is just our preference, and there are only 2 of us so hot water has never been a problem.

Glad you found that switch. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 4:12pm
Well, I've got my 178 home!  I pulled it 860 miles and through some high winds and snow through WY.  It was my first time pulling a trailer, but everything went well.  Thank goodness for the e2 with stabilizer bars!  Although I could feel the wind trying, the pod never once waggled; it stayed straight and true behind me the entire way.  I have it set up at the side of my house.  Tested the water heater, microwave, furnace and A/C unit; turned on the fridge today.  Will check it before leaving for work tomorrow to make sure it's cold, then shut it down.  We hope to take it camping this next weekend for our first outing!  I'm excited.  We'll try to set up our R-dome then. 

A question:  I've read to not let the anode sit in water and to drain the water heater when not in use.  Is it ok to let it sit in water for the week until we go next weekend for a camping trip?  Just wondering if even a week is too long.

I'll attach a picture of me pulled over in Kearney, NE, for breakfast last Wednesday, headed for Utah - once I figure out how to upload a picture.  Boy, I got through NE just in time.  They had awful storms there the next day!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 4:53pm
My new baby!

Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 5:32pm
Also, in replacing the mattress, would you recommend a 10" or 12" memory foam?  Will the 12" be too tall?
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 5:37pm
And another question:  my brother said I should remove the stabilizing bars from my hitch before backing at an angle.  He said straight backing wouldn't hurt them, but if I have to back the pod at an angle - which I do to get it onto the apron at the side of our house - to remove the bars first to avoid any damage.  Just wondering why I can pull and turn at an angle but not back up?  I can remove them ok with a bit of (grunting) effort, but it's not super easy to get them on and off.
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 5:46pm

Keep your water heater full all camping season, you won't save much of the anode by draining and refilling it each time.  You will increase the "fiddle factor" and the chance you'll burn out the electric element by leaving it on with an empty tank.

We only have a 3 or 4 inch memory mattress on top of the factory mattress.

The Equalizer and E2 are designed to stay on while backing.  Stand-alone friction sway bars must be removed.  No worries, leave yours on.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:20am
If REPLACING the mattress, we highly reccomend the Euro Top from CW.

I have never read to remove the anode rod after every trip. That is, just as Tech said, a recipe for disaster, and a whole lot of fiddling that does nothing but give you a little back of the brain reason not to use your trailer. Remove the anode at the end of the season to drain the tank. Remember where you put it so you have it for next year.... (ask me why I have 2.. LOL)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:39am
When we lived in the Midwest, I would remove the anode only when it came time to winterize my RV.  Here in Florida, where we can use an RV all year, I don't remove the anode or drain the water heater.  We normally use facilities with full hookups, and I use only the electric element to heat our water.  Since the heater is always filled with water, I keep the element switch turned on all the time since it is a pain to use. Instead, I use the breaker when I have the pod hooked to shore power at home.  When on the road, I keep the breaker in the on position. 

In 40 years of camping, I have never replaced an anode.  But, maybe I should check it every few years or so.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:53pm
I'm looking at the EcoSmart holding tank products vs. Aqua-Kem.  I prefer something that's more natural for the environment, but I also want it to work well.  Has anyone used the EcoSmart line?  Do you think the Aqua-Kem works better?

Thanks for everyone's responses to my questions above!  It's a relief to know I don't have to fiddle with the water heater all season long; once a year sounds much better!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 12:49am
Could someone confirm how you fill the hot water heater?  Is it either having water in the fresh water tank and the water pump on, or having an external water source hooked up - then simply turning the hot water faucet on?  When the air is removed from the hot water faucet line, does that mean your hot water tank is then full??
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>