R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2010 RPod 175 risers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 RPod 175 risers
    Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 3:11pm
Anyone out there with a 2010 model 175 RPod?  When we originally ordered it the salesman said he didn't recccomend FR axle risers and we could put them on later. When we took it in to the dealer for the lighting recall last year they told us they couldn't be put on the trailer because of the axle configuration, that it was torsion axle instead of a leaf spring.  Has anyone had them installed on their 175?  Will the factory kit I see some have ordered on here work?  We love our RPod and this is the third year that we've made about a 3600 mile trip from Oklahoma to Wyoming and Montana with the pod. This year unfortunately on the 2nd morning out we were leaving the campground in Kimball Nebraska and hubby didnt think about trying to go up and over a slight rise with the pod, which caused the front of the trailer to dig in and then when we backed up  we severley bent  one back jack and pretty much lost the other  and tore off two bolts on one of the front jacks.  We also cracked the grey water tube valve.  Fortunately we has a scissor jack that worked the rest of the trip on the back. We love our little trailer, but the ground clearance is the only complaint we have about it. Jacks can be replaced, but would love to know if anyone else with this particular model has put on axle riser kits.
Thanks

Pam & Dan
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 3:25pm
I have a used 2010 176T and I ordered them from FR and installed them myself. I'm not sure what kind of axle I have (see http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3469&KW=Jack&PN=3&title=jacking-up-my-rpod-for-inspection ) 
but its diagonal and since I got them from FR, I assume they are OK.  No problems so far. I think I know what a leaf spring is and 
I don't see any leaf spring on my axle ... therefore it must be torsion bar???  

I could see if you had leaf springs, that would be problematic as they would attach to the frame?
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 4:25pm
We have a 2010 model 171 and had the risors put on this past year. Seem to work well so far. Not sure what kind of axel we have.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 5:23pm
We bought our RP 175 new about 3 and a half years ago. One of our rear jacks lasted about 3 trips and was peeled off entering a gas station, so I know where you're coming from. Your dealer is wrong. We ordered our risers from Forest River, and had a local RV shop install them. Without some physical problems, I would have done it myself, as it looked like a pretty straight forward install. There are a couple different axle brands installed on Pods, so you need your VIN when you order to make sure you get the proper risers.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 6:34pm
IIRC the older Pods will have the Lippert axel and the newer Pods have switched to Dexter ones I believe.

I could be mistaken though and it could vary on production year and time of manufacture.  I've never heard of any Pod not being to accommodate risers though.  As someone mentioned, have your VIN number ready when you call and they will get you the ones that are correct for your Pod.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 7:24pm
Regardless of if it is a Lippert or a Dexter axle, all the pod axles are torsion, none have leaf springs.  My 2010 173 also has a Lippert and I installed risers last month.  I called Forest River and gave them the model, year and VIN of my pod and they sent me the riser kit.  Your dealer can do the same thing but I would consider finding another dealer.  All the comments above are correct.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 11:15pm
X2with sleepless I just installed mine about a month ago. I called FR with year and vin number and then
after $186 Including shipping and tax,later they sent me the kit. Pretty easy.

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

phil & sue & daisy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 5:44pm
I found it easier and cheaper just to remove the stabilizers and just slip them under and crank 'em up when at the campsite.
 Post Reply Post Reply