R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransmission Oil Temp.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Oil Temp.
    Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:35am
I found this advice for GMC pickups, (Silverado / Sierra):

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:10am
We just returned from another camping trip, although this time we pulled some mighty high hills up to 4,200 feet on a hot day.  My scanguage recorded a high temp of the tranny oil of 219 degrees.  Was able to maintain 60 MPH without any problems.  Normally the temp reads about 150-180 degrees.  I had never seen the temp that high and became concerned.  Upon my return did some internet checking and it seems that if you have synthetic transmission oil, the temps can get a lot higher, up to 300 degrees before things go wrong.  Thought I would ask if anyone else has been monitoring their tranny oil temps and what concerns they had.  The radiator temp never got above 215 but came down quickly upon cresting the mountain.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12