R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear Garage on 181

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Garage on 181
    Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 5:59pm
Confused We are poised to purchase a 178 but think we might like the layout of the 181 better, Any suggestions, pros or cons?  It's just the two of us so really just need one bed.  Rear garage, use it or waste of space?  Thanks
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 8:55am

Hello and Welcome

We have a 181G and we love it. If you only need one bed - this floor plan is terrific. Not only do you have the garage, which you will use a LOT; you have the wardrobe which is wonderful. Plus you do not need to set up and take down your table every night. That counter top is just perfect for two people.

Every other floor plan has absolutely no place to store their clothing. In the 181G you have four drawers and 3 shelves, my husband added one more shelf, so that we each have 2 drawers and 2 shelves. What a blessing that is as opposed to lifting the bed to get to your clothes.

As for the garage. We use it constantly. In fact when we bought the 181G the R-dome came with it and we sold it, because we do most of our living in the back. We put an EZ up out back, set up a table/chairs and we do our cooking, dining, dishwashing, and TV viewing and visiting with our neighbors outback.

The advantage of the R-Dome is of course a rainy day - it keeps you dryer than adding sides to an EZ up. (We have done that too.)

When we have been with other R-Pods we get lots of comments, from people that say they love our floor plan and the garage, and would have bought that one, except they needed 4 beds or else their tow vehicle was not able to tow the 181G.

So if you only need 2 beds and can tow it - I recommend you seriously consider buying the 181G. WE LOVE IT! We think it has every convenience you could possibly want in a cute little camper!!!

We just wish we could use it more often. Other things in life get in our way, so we do not get out as often as we would like.

Good Luck with the decision making process.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 4:42pm
Love my 181g, wouldn't give up my garage for anything.  If you have to ever break camp in the rain the garage is a great place for all those semi wet things until you get home and can dry them out.

Plus doing all the kitchen stuff back there is perfect.

OH yes and the closet.  Never will you have to ask other Podders where to store your clothes, you're all set up!!
arkieguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm
Thanks, you answered all our questions! 181 it is!! We be Podding soon!!Star
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 9:16am
You won't regret that choice.  I will make one or two cons from my 3 years of ownership.

I personally am very annoyed that the garage sink drains into the black tank instead of the grey.  It's not uncommon for it to be this way I just find that it forces me not to use my sink back there for it's intended use.

Also, there are times when we are inside our Pod and wish we just had somewhere to sit.  It's either on the bed or nothing.  We've adapted to that, but something comfy to sit on would be nice.  But we traded that option for the closet, and the most open floorplan there is.

Can't wait to see your new Pod!
M&L Fritsch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 9:10pm
Michael and Lisa 181G 2013
M&L Fritsch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 9:16pm
We love the floor plan of the 181G, we roll a single foam mattress in half length ways with bungee cords and put a cover over it with a  sleeping bag inside it. We store this on the back of the bed so we can use it like a couch. It also fits perfectly on the floor if you have to put up somebody or two in a pinch. We added shelves in the closet, we feel this can store more clothes for us.
Michael and Lisa 181G 2013
 Post Reply Post Reply