R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-Dome Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-Dome Revisited
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:31am

A topic from 2011 included an r-Dome poll to determine how many campers were using theirs or if they had one. Based on that poll, the majority seemed to be using the r-Dome for trips of 2 nights or more, and a handful used them on every trip. I'm a pretty big fan of the r-Dome, and I'd like to an update from forum members about your r-Dome usage and experiences.

So far, we have used ours on every trip, and every trip has been 2 nights. We got our Pod in October of last year, and really have not had a good weather outing with it yet. The first was the best weather, because it was just October cold; but the Pod hadn't been weather sealed properly at the factory, and we couldn't keep it warm. Our dealer took care of that problem, but every trip since has been dominated by nasty weather. However, the r-Dome has impressed us every time. The first time, we were just impressed by its size and versatility. On another trip, we camped through multiple serious downpours. The Pod itself is kind of a nice experience in hard rain, because it feels like such a cozy wrap-around protection from the storm. The r-Dome, though, was amazing. We leave our dogs in crates under the Dome, and they stayed nice and dry in spite of the extremely heavy rainfall all around them. On another trip, it absolutely saved the dogs and us from the most mosquito infested weekend we have experienced in years, plus lots of drizzle. The netting doesn't appear to be no-see-um proof; but it sure does the trick for the bugs we experienced. On the most recent trip, the Dome withstood amazingly strong and relentless winds for 3 days and 2 nights. That particularly surprised me, because it seems like I'm trying to stack a house of cards when I'm putting the Dome up. Once everything's in place, though, it's a remarkable shelter (I'm knocking on wood here).

Some members who responded to that 2011 poll, saying they do not use the rDome and maybe sold the one that came with their rPod, were so intimidated by how complicated it looked to setup that they never gave it a try. I would not claim that it's a snap to setup; but it's not terrible, either. Considering the added shelter and versatility if offers, I think it's worth the effort. I've set ours up alone on all but the last trip when it was extremely windy. That time, a guy in the next site saw me struggling against the wind and came over to help. Even working together, we couldn't get it done. This site was competely unprotected from wind coming off the big adjacent lake. He pointed out that the door side of my Pod was directly facing the direction of the wind, and suggested that I position it the opposite way (duh!). That option wouldn't necessarily be available in every situation; but, in this case, I simple pulled into the next site over with the back of the r-Pod facing the wind. Once I did that, I was able to setup the rDome alone (though the guy still hung around for moral support).

So, as an r-Dome believer, I'm interesting in reading your r-Dome stories.

Got any?

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 12:03pm
We use ours in crowded campgrounds to give us a little more private space, or if rainy or cool weather is expected. Otherwise we use a simple awning to provide some shade, and keep the morning dew off the chairs and such. 

As you say, assembly isn't really all that bad, once you've done it a time or two. We've only had winds high enough to blow the dome down one time, and our camping neighbors were nice enough to take it down for us while we were gone so it didn't get destroyed.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:08pm
We didn't use the Dome for several trips, after an initial set up attempt that just got pretty tedious.  Our pod had the goofy screws in the track that had to be fixed, which I did, and I got some spray silicone too for the track.  We set it up last time we were out, and it went fairly smoothly.  I'm still not of a mind to set it up for a one or two night stay I don't think, but it is really nice space once it's up.  It will definitely be part of our camping experience more often going forward.

TT
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:49am
One of the huge selling points to us for the Pod was the R-dome, and other than our very first 1-night shakedown outing we have used it every single time.  Opened up in good weather it makes for a shady porch.  Screened in during buggy weather keeps them away for the most part and I don't get eaten alive.  Closed up in bad weather and we have an extended living room to relax in.  We've even used it during the winter camping in 30-40 degree weather by running a catalytic heater to keep it warm & toasty!  Once we put it up a couple of times we got our system down and it now takes us about 10 minutes.  Took us a while as well to figure out the best way to take it down & fold it up, and that takes us about 15 minutes. 
Probably the only issue I have with it, but that I would have with any awning, is that when it is wet I can't just pack it away and leave it that way ... have to bring it home, spread it out on a sunny day and dry it completely.  But that is a minor inconvienence compared to how much we use it while out camping.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 9:17am
The Dome is Home.

We have never camped without putting it up.

Well.. now that I think about it, at last winter's "distributed group camp out" we didn't put it up..
Footloosejake View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 9:51am
I just received my "New" 2011 R pod 171 and my "R-Dome" a couple wks ago and now have tried to put up the Dome. I find the bead on the dome is stopped by the screw heads and the channel is cutting the bead of nylon and really will and should not go.
     I see you had some problem as well and wondered what size screws you used and any other suggestions you might have. Thanks Jake
@ footloosejake@yahoo.com but you probable have this anyway.  

Footloose
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 10:27am
We love our r-dome and use it on every trip.  However, I am looking to mod it with umbrella nylon that has the silver UV-shield coating on it to decrease the amount of heat it traps in the hot summer months when we aren't lucky enough to find a shady site.

We've used it so much that there might be a few holes in the dome from friction by dragging part of it across the ground during set-up and take-down. 

Once we set it up the first time, we marked the supporting cross bars with a sharpie and it has been much easier to to set up since.
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 8:45pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Footloosejake

I just received my "New" 2011 R pod 171 and my "R-Dome" a couple wks ago and now have tried to put up the Dome. I find the bead on the dome is stopped by the screw heads and the channel is cutting the bead of nylon and really will and should not go.
     I see you had some problem as well and wondered what size screws you used and any other suggestions you might have.
So far, I've just worked the bead past the original screw heads. It gets aggravating, but I haven't taken the time to replace the screws with flatter heads. I recall a post from another member who replaced the original screws with stainless steel flatheads. I did file the ends of the channel to reduce cutting into the bead.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 12:48am
I don't own an R-Dome, sadly, though can see the benefits of having one. We use a 10 x 10 Gazebo instead. 

I saw a picture from the Roundup in Oregon where someone had set a tarp with a couple of poles instead of the R-Dome. It got me thinking that maybe I could figure out a way to leverage the existing track to create an awning off the R-Pod. Do any of you R-Dome owners have a close up picture of where the R-Dome attaches to the track? I'd like to see how I could modify a tarp to fit in a similar fashion.

Thanks!
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>