R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike Carrier with R-Pods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Carrier with R-Pods
    Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 3:42pm
Here's a way to carry bikes with our R-Pods. A two bike carrier is mounted on an extended weight distribution hitch shank between the TV and the Pod. This eliminates the problems of carrying the bikes on the rear bumper AND allows them to be taken with you when you disconnect the Pod at a camp site.

The bike carrier is by Swagman:
http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-64664-Bike-Rack/dp/B003YJK1PS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376680682&sr=8-1&keywords=swagman+64664

The extended shank is by Draw-Tite:
http://www.amazon.com/Draw-3214-Weight-Distributing-Hitch-Shank/dp/B0016I54ME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376680726&sr=8-2&keywords=draw-tite+shank

TWO CAUTIONS: The extended shank will increase the effective tongue weight on the TV so it probably should not be used on marginal TVs such as 3500# rated vehicles and,

The bikes will limit the turning radius of the rig if two propane bottles are carried. This is OK for normal forward driving, but may be an issue for backing into camp sites or close maneuvering such as gas stations. The fixes are get a second set of eyes (wife), or take the bikes off first.

Happy Podding,

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 4:23pm
I like the dual propane set-up.  I have wanted to do that but do not seem to use enough gas to justify.  Charlie, do you have it for convenience, comfort off knowing you will never (hopefully!!) run out, or do you use quite a bit of propane?  Just curious.  Bike rack looks nice as well. 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by hogone

I like the dual propane set-up.  I have wanted to do that but do not seem to use enough gas to justify.  Charlie, do you have it for convenience, comfort off knowing you will never (hopefully!!) run out, or do you use quite a bit of propane?  Just curious.  Bike rack looks nice as well. 

The dual propane goes with my two batteries, all LED lighting, 35 gallon waste tanks, portable 6.5 gallon fresh water carrier, and 15 gallon "blue tank" waste carrier. All for extended boondocking or other non-hookup sites. So far I haven't used all that stuff, but we plan on lots of Colorado camping at National Parks and Forests. The propane is for heating and fridge without electric hookups and the fridge while driving. Dual batteries are for non electric sites and we carry a lot of electronics. No A/C or micro supported. Larger waste and fresh water capabilities are for longer stays without sewer hookups to eliminate breaking down camp to drive to the dump station. I'll probably never use all this capability, but that's the engineer in me!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 4:53pm
Charlie, I thought you have a tongue-mounted spare tire, too.  But, my memory is not what it used to be.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

Charlie, I thought you have a tongue-mounted spare tire, too.  But, my memory is not what it used to be.

Bob

You're absolutely right, Bob. Good memory. The spare was banished back to the rear bumper due to interference with the bikes. You just can't get it all on the tongue. Soon I'll need a second trailer just for all the junque I'm carrying. Well, that's what pickups are for Big smile.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply