Topic ClosedHello All, been thinking of becoming a podder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello All, been thinking of becoming a podder
    Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 9:35pm
After a pretty lousy tent camping trip one weekend full of rain my wife and I have started looking at campers. We wanted something with a bathroom with a shower, a full time bed, kitchen and a dining table. The sales person showed us the rPod first. At first glance I wasn't sure, after stepping inside I was convinced. We went ahead and looked at some other trailers but kept coming back to the rPod. The others didn't seem to have what we wanted. Being 6'4" I wanted some head room and didn't want to remember to duck down every time I moved inside the camper.

The rPod had the head room and the features we wanted. With that said we started looking at different floor plans. Got it narrowed to two and wanted some input from others that may have each of the models.

The choices are a new 177 or a 2010 used 171. Both have the same floor plan, however the 177 has the slide out. Is the slide out really worth the extra cost?

Also, has anyone here tried to tow with a 2nd gen Nissan Xterra with the 4.0 motor? The Xterra shows that it is rated for 5000 pounds and 500 tongue weight. I would get the e2 hitch to help with sway and sag.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:09pm
Welcome to the RPod group, probably the best and most informative RV group on the Web (no bias here!). Either the 171 or the 177 would be a good choice, but I would suggest the 177. It's newer and the slide is probably worth it. The separate and permanent bed, dinette, and bath areas are a real plus and a definite upgrade from a tent. I stayed away from the slide for weight considerations, but you should be OK with the Xterra. I tow my RP-172 with a 3.5L Honda and only notice the pod behind me when I glance at the gas gauge. That said, all my towing to date has been in the mountains of Florida and Alabama. Next month we give it the real test at altitude in Colorado. 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:11pm
Having been parked next to a 171 on more than one occasion, the slide makes so much difference it really is two different trailers entirely. You couldn't give me a 171.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:18pm
 Welcome! The engine you have I think is strong enough to pull the rpods but I think the 171 being lighter would make towing a little easier. The 171 has a little more storage space but the slides will give you extra floor space . Its a matter of which you prefer. We recently considered buying a new larger trailer but decided against it because it had a slide. There is always that possibility of problems with a slide. By the reviews I have read people love the extra space but the slides do have there problems at times. Both the 171 and 177 are very popular they are both good its just a matter of which you prefer.    David and Danette 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Welcome to the RPod group, probably the best and most informative RV group on the Web (no bias here!). Either the 171 or the 177 would be a good choice, but I would suggest the 177. It's newer and the slide is probably worth it. The separate and permanent bed, dinette, and bath areas are a real plus and a definite upgrade from a tent. I stayed away from the slide for weight considerations, but you should be OK with the Xterra. I tow my RP-172 with a 3.5L Honda and only notice the pod behind me when I glance at the gas gauge. That said, all my towing to date has been in the mountains of Florida and Alabama. Next month we give it the real test at altitude in Colorado. 

Thanks for the info. I found the "other" forum and steered clear of that. I have been lurking here for a while, reading and researching, I want my information in an unmodified and unmoderated format. I like to over research stuff when making my purchases. Seems like everyone here is very friendly and helpful in anyway that they can be. Good to see such comradeship amongst people.
ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by furpod

Having been parked next to a 171 on more than one occasion, the slide makes so much difference it really is two different trailers entirely. You couldn't give me a 171.

Thanks for the information. I found a 171 within a days drive from me but none close enough to compare side by side. We looked at the 177 on the show room floor and was amazed by how much room it had on the inside. I guess that slide out really does make a difference.

Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 11:05pm
The extra room that you get from the slide out is worth it in my opinion.  I had been towing my 177 with a 4X4 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 liter engine.  Some hills were a little rough, but the truck could handle them.
Eddy the Escape Pod...177
Ford F150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 11:24pm
Welcome.  I am a 171 owner and have been very happy.  I think you have to consider what type of camper are you.  Do you prefer to spend more of your time inside or do you want to commune with nature as much as possible and then go inside for sleeping and bathing?  We cook outside as many of the cooking odors remain inside, even with bath fan on.  We ever ordered ours without the TV antenna.  Either hiking, reading or just hanging out are what our interests are.  Others prefer to watch movies or tv in the evening.  The additional weight is something to consider as well as the additional mechanical issues that possibly may be of concern.  For us the 171 is perfect, for others the slideout is preferred.  Your choice.  Safe Travels.  
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 12:50am
We looked at both and chose the 177 as it provides a lot more interior space in an already small trailer and it provides a lot more room for 2 people to get in and out of bed.  Speaking of which, I'm 6'1" and the bed is barely long enough. I suggest you spend some time laying side by side with your wife to insure the bed meets your needs. No where to dangle your feet!  Other than that concern you will love the pod. 
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:02am
   Little Sweet Pea I just noticed your tow vehicle I bought a 1988 Montero new with the 2.6 engine drove it for 14 years. It was near trouble free the time I had it except for at the very end the carb. had problems.Replaced the carb. and sold it to a friend who is still driving it.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>