R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProdigy Wireless Brake Controller issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prodigy Wireless Brake Controller issue
    Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 7:59am
2 weeks ago when I went to h/u the Pod I found out that none of the lights would work on it.  Took the TV into a nearby dealer and found that the wiring harness module on it had shorted out, and they replaced it.  This weekend went to bring the Pod home to do some work on it, all the lights were working but the electric brakes were not ... on my handset in the TV it was reading No Connection.  I checked the plug on my TV and am getting voltage coming out on all the pins. 

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done by me on the actual brake controller that is mounted on the trailer chassis?  If there is something like a fuse inside of it I will gladly open it up and take a look, but thought I'd ask here before doing anything.  If not I'll have to run it up to my dealer who installed it, and that is 90 minutes away ... trying to avoid the trip if it may be something simple.

Thanks - P
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 10:50am
There should be 2 breakers under the hood that supply power to the connector.  One is the main breaker, usually around 40 amps.  The one for the brake controller is of smaller capacity, usually either 20 amps or 30 amps.  Check that breaker.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 9:23am

Found the breaker and it was blown.  Replaced it and as soon as I hooked up to the Pod it blew again.  Ended up taking the Pod up to the dealer on Saturday thinking it may be something with the brake controller and spending all afternoon there while they re-wired my TV.  Seems that the main wire running from the front to the back was not secured properly enough and had come into contact with the muffler, melting the insulation and shorting it out thus causing the fuse to blow.  Everything is working fine now.

I will say that it was somewhat nerve-wracking to drive the Pod 1.5 hours up to the dealer knowing I didn't have brakes working on it though ... talk about leaving a lot of space between me and the other vehicles on the road!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 9:50am
I have always installed my own brake controllers, and my standard practice is to install automatic resettable breakers in lieu of fuses or manually resettable breakers.  These will reset quickly, once they cool down a little.  When it comes to trailer brakes, I want all the added assurance I can get that the brakes will work at all times.

This will not help if you have a problem like you had, but I am a firm believer that automatic resettable breakers are a must.  I use them on both the brake controller line and the power line going to the trailer's battery. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 1:23pm
Never heard of those, but I'm definitely going to check into them with my mechanic ... thanks!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 5:41pm

This is how a typical breaker looksl

Bob

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Three SHORT STOP 12VOLT M39 20AMP Short Stop Auto Reset Circuit Breakers

Post Reply Post Reply