Topic ClosedBeginner here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner here
    Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 9:44pm
 No one ever said that any campgrounds did not have water at every site.  Just got back from our first camping experience. went fairly well. When we got there, I messaged our son that our site had electric, but no water. He called and said that we should have gotten water on the campgrounds before we got to our site. Who knew? Not I! At that point, we were all set up, and just decided not to  hook trailer up and get water. We were fairly close to bathroom and shower facilities.However, next time, we will know enough to get water before we get to our site!  Talk about feeling stupid. There should be a book about Camping for Dummies.
21grandma
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 9:53pm
21grandam. I generally carry only about 5 gallons when enroute (in case of emergency potty breaks) I fill up at the camp site to keep towing weight down 36 gallons times 7lbs per gallon is much weight. I went to Walmart and got a folding 5 gallon plastic storable water container I keep in the back storage of the pod. Once I did not get my fresh water tank full and took the portable tank to the camp faucet and made 3 hauls and that put 15 gallons in the holding tank, this was enough for late night potty breaks, cooking and washing dishes, I think it was around $10.00 , well worth having in case of emergencies.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:16am
Another option you may want to consider for these types of situations is to get a hard-sided blue 5 gallon water jug, sold just about everywhere.  They are square and can be strapped down to the frame right next to the battery up front if you aren't running dual batteries.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:18am
Live & learn!  The great thing about the pod is it has its own fresh water holding tank.  No water seems unusual if you have electricity, but there are lots of places without one thing or another or with no hookups at all.  Bet you'll remember to ask about hookups next time you register!

TT
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:24am
At least half the campgrounds we have been to don't have water, only electricity. We almost always make our reservations on line, and the website has always told us what is available. Some of them even tell you how far it is to the spigot and/or pedestal from the actual parking spot. Some campgrounds are laid out pretty funky..
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:52am
We're camping at our first campground without water at the sites in September.  The DW is unamused by this but we are within 75ft of a spigot and I have more than enough hose.  

A lot of sites we would like to book at have no water at them.  That usually is a reason to not go there.  The DW doesn't like that.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by furpod

At least half the campgrounds we have been to don't have water, only electricity. We almost always make our reservations on line, and the website has always told us what is available. Some of them even tell you how far it is to the spigot and/or pedestal from the actual parking spot. Some campgrounds are laid out pretty funky..

Many of the cold country sites have electricity but no water. Some have water only at a central location. It's to prevent freezing in winter. A call to the parks service before hand will usually inform you. If water is available at a central location you can arrive with an empty tank and fill up before setting up at the final location. However, in such places, emptying the gray/black tanks can also be an issue. No dump stations.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 7:30pm
A lot of State Parks here...no water.  But have fill-up sites.
 Post Reply Post Reply