R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with Ford Escape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with Ford Escape
    Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 5:19pm
I was looking at a R-pod to purchase. One of the smaller ones like a 173. I have a 6 cylinder Escape to pull it with and wondered, if realistically, it will do the job safely. 
My limitations from Ford are:
3500 lbs GVWR
300 lbs tongue
30 sq ft frontal area
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 8:25pm
the 3.0 liter will pull it, I feel it is a marginal package for long term or coast to coast pulling. In my opinion for short hauls and trips close to home you will do ok. I think if you are towing through mountains and steep terrain you will have to pace your self. After pulling ours for the third season I have found that on the interstate I pull at 60mph on flat or down hill. I stay in the right lane. uphill (of which we have plenty in southern Indiana) 50 or 55. don't like it, go around me. I think you will be ok as long as you are not in strong cross winds or extremely hilly country.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 8:54pm
I wouldn't...would suggest more power.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 8:55pm
Welcome. dsmiths said it all. Many of us started with 6's and have moved to something with a larger engine. It all depends on where and how far you want to go to camp.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 9:11pm
Outbound, could give you a good answer he has the Mazda Tribute almost identical to the Escape and he tows a 171. As has been said on flat ground or small hills you will get by, but in the mountains it would put a lot of stress on your engine and transmission.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:50pm
We returned from our 6000 mile trip to and from the Southwest in early June towing a 2800 pound (dry weight) travel trailer with our 2010 Santa Fe V6 274 hp AWD tow vehicle.  It did great in the strong crosswinds, and did much better than I expected going up and down 6% grades and a 7% one.  We did have to downshift on some of the grades, but never exceeded 3000 RPMs. We averaged 12.6 mpg, towing our trailer about 95% of the time. 

We traded that trailer (due to fiberglass delamination) in on a 2010 R-Pod 173, which is about 800 pounds (dry weight) than our old Dutchman Aerolite Zoom.  I expect the pod to tow even better, although everyone seems to be getting very low gas mileage with them.

In all my years of towing, I have always allowed my tow vehicle (or motor home) to pick up some speed going downhill or before approaching a hill, and letting the speed drop somewhat going up a grade.  Unless we are on flat terrain I don't use cruise control, and find that by "feathering" the gas I get better mileage than when using cruse. 

I have also noticed and when towing in 5th gear rather than 6th, the ECONOMY light will actually come on.  I have not towed our pod on a long trip yet. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 6:03am
We were towing with a 6 cal. Grand Cherokee, and it was fine for the flat Florida back roads.  I also used the
"feathering gas" approach, with the goal of maintaining 1500 rpm, and taking whatever speed that resulted
in.  Gas mileage hovered around 13-15 mpg.

Having said that, and with the ultimate goal of longer excursions, beyond the Florida flatness, we have up-
graded to a Silverado 1500 V-8.

I expect your experience will be fairly similar.  Enjoy yourselves with the current TV, and go bigger and stronger when the time is right.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:29am
I really think it depends on where you live and where you are going to go camping.  I am perfectly fine towing our Pod around here in the Southeast with a 3500# tow capacity.  And yes, if I was going to take a trip out west and/or into larger mountains and I took my time doing it I am sure it would be just fine.  But if I lived in a more mountainous area or was planning on constantly going camping in mountains (not hills, mountains), then there is no way I would consider it with the TV I have and I would upgrade to something more powerful.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:32am
Several years ago I towed an enclosed motorcycle trailer with two bikes (total weight approx 2400 pounds) from St. Louis to Virginia Beach (round trip on Interstate 64) with the Escape.  Blew the tranny!!!
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 9:25am
I think you'll do fine with it for as long as you want to tow that way.  Like others said LOTS of us started with v6's and have for our own reasons decided we wanted more oomph when towing.

This will be the 3rd and final season that we tow with our v6 vehicle, upgrading next spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>