R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with Ford Escape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with Ford Escape
    Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 11:23am
We had 102,000 miles on our last 6 cylinder tow vehicle.  Still had the original spark plugs, exhaust and brakes.  Absolutely no problems towing.  Replaced it with our current 2010 Santa Fe 6 cylinder and, again, no problems.  Currently have 26K on the Santa Fe.  I believe that driving habits while towing are the keys to success.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 12:38pm
Are you pulling on that mountainous Florida terrain?  Probably fine there, but anyone who tows with a small V6 will be sorry if going through any type of moutainous terrain. 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by hogone

Are you pulling on that mountainous Florida terrain?  Probably fine there, but anyone who tows with a small V6 will be sorry if going through any type of moutainous terrain. 

I don't know if that comment is pure sarcasm or a serious question.  Actually, I have not camped in Florida since we sold our Class A motor home.  Our trip to and from the Southwest was full of mountainous terrain and the Santa Fe performed like a champ.  I don't consider a 274 hp engine a "small" V6.  Now that we are towing a lighter trailer, our R-Pod, I expect the Santa Fe to perform even better on our next extended trip.  Don't knock an intermediate sized SUV until you know how they perform.

I might add that in 2010 we were towing with a Triton V-10 and it was only rated at 310 hp.  I do realize that torque does enter into the equation.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:39pm
  We started with a Saturn View with the Honda V6 it had plenty of power in the Tennessee mountains but not sure of the horsepower or torque of the Ford V6. So I could have been wrong perhaps the Ford Escape would have enough power. I still think Outbound could give a reliable answer.   David 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 7:01pm
hogone, one reason we bought a 173 is because it does not have the extra weight inherent with those models that do have slides or are heavier due to being longer.  Our R-Pod is the lightest hard-sided travel trailer we have ever owned, and is not much heavier than my fishing boat.  And, as I mentioned earlier, a good part of efficient towing is attributable to driving habits.  I don't think a 173 is really a good test of a TVs towing ability because of its relatively light weight.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
fjohnson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 7:52pm
Thanks for all the great advice. Based on what you all said, I am not afraid to buy one and tow with the Escape. I will limit my traveling to flat or minor hilly locations until i move up to bigger vehicle.

Thanks

See you out there
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:59pm
Weight is not as much of a problem as drag is. Don't plan on running at 70 MPH. Keep it at 50-55 and you will be OK. Also, get a good hitch. You will need it with that light a TV.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:45am
Sleepless:  Not pure sarcasm, but maybe a little!!! Sorry, no harm intended.   I guess I just have experience with the Escape 6 cyl/3.0 and as I mentioned, blew the tranny.  It definately struggled, and  by no means did I run it hard.    It will pull it however.  I guess once you have more power, it is a feeling of comfort and safety. 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Sleepless

Originally posted by hogone

I don't know if that comment is pure sarcasm or a serious question.  Actually, I have not camped in Florida since we sold our Class A motor home.  Our trip to and from the Southwest was full of mountainous terrain and the Santa Fe performed like a champ.  I don't consider a 274 hp engine a "small" V6.  Now that we are towing a lighter trailer, our R-Pod, I expect the Santa Fe to perform even better on our next extended trip.  Don't knock an intermediate sized SUV until you know how they perform.

I might add that in 2010 we were towing with a Triton V-10 and it was only rated at 310 hp.  I do realize that torque does enter into the equation.

Bob

That's good HP for your TV.  That's the thing, our V6 is at the low end of HP and I feel that we suffer because of it.  I would be much happier with what you have!

Smile
david950 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 10:25am
I towed my 176 for one year with my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  Hills weren't pleasant, but windy days were the worst.  As Keith-n-Dar notes, drag is more important than weight, especially as speeds increase.  On a trip to CO, I climbed Raton Pass from NM with my Jeep, which was a white-knuckle affair, but didn't last as long as a windy pull across the TX panhandle.  I upgraded to a Ram 1500 (Hemi-powered) two years ago and I now tow in a much more relaxed state, though I still rarely tow above 60.  That said, there were days when 55 felt like my Jeep was taking a beating.

If you're not in a hurry, and can deal with the stress (on you and your vehicle) of occasional hills and windy days, you may be ok with your V-6.  I just got to the point where I felt like I was putting too much "hurt" on my Jeep.  Of course, now my wife wants a bigger travel trailer.  Should we make that decision, I hope it doesn't mean a 3/4 ton diesel is in my future!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>