R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCity Water Intake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Water Intake
    Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 2:10pm
Hi,

I had a chance this weekend during my outing to connect to city water for the first time and have a couple of questions as I wasn't able to get a good connection and water was coming out of the intake.

I have a water pressure regulator that I attach between my hose and the water intake. Once it was all connected I then turned on the water source but found that water was coming out of the intake almost like the intake wasn't allowing water to flow in to the camper. The water was coming out behind the intake 'handle' that you screw into the regulator.

Is there something I'm missing as far as settings or specific conditions on the camper to allow the city water to flow in to the camper? I have booked a full-site for the first weekend of September and would like to figure this out to take advantage of the amenities!

Thanks in advance (as always)!
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Zag

Hi,

I had a chance this weekend during my outing to connect to city water for the first time and have a couple of questions as I wasn't able to get a good connection and water was coming out of the intake.

I have a water pressure regulator that I attach between my hose and the water intake. Once it was all connected I then turned on the water source but found that water was coming out of the intake almost like the intake wasn't allowing water to flow in to the camper. The water was coming out behind the intake 'handle' that you screw into the regulator.

Is there something I'm missing as far as settings or specific conditions on the camper to allow the city water to flow in to the camper? I have booked a full-site for the first weekend of September and would like to figure this out to take advantage of the amenities!

Thanks in advance (as always)!
Hi,
There is a screen with a rubber washer that pushes into the city water connection. This is the gasket for the hose hookup. In the top picture below you can see the city water hookup with screen. The picture below that one shows the screen taken out. if the washer is missing or not pushed in all the way, or the hose is not screwed down tight you will get a leak. Also the washer may be worn out and need replacing. The third picture shows the city water connection with the washer and screen removed. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 5:28pm
There's nothing special that has to be done to use city (pressurized) water - there's a check valve that will open when water pressure is applied.  Seanl did an excellent job of describing how to connect and the problems that may crop up with the washer.

Originally posted by Zag

I have a water pressure regulator that I attach between my hose and the water intake
The regulator should be attached to the water tap on the post, your hose then connects to the regulator and the other end of your hose to the trailer.  That way, your pressure regulator is also protecting your hose.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 7:45pm
Outbound, you beat me to the punch. All regulators should be attached at the hose bib, before connecting the hose. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 12:01am
Once again, you've come through for me! Thanks for the quick responses.

It looks like my rubber washer went AWOL as it's not presently installed. But that's a quick fix (phew!).

And thanks for the info regarding the regulator. I tried to see what other campers had done (from a distance) and took a guess. It was a 50/50 chance of getting it right Embarrassed Now I know!

Best wishes.
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 12:06am
This is why we get the big money. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply