R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbest cleaner/wax for the R Pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best cleaner/wax for the R Pod
    Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 9:12pm
Donna and I love to camp in Hoosier National Forest as it is close to home, quiet , secluded, and peaceful. However it has 90 foot tall jack pines and they put out that sticky goo. What is the best cleaner and or wax for that. I have been using elbow grease and maguaires paste wax, but it is hard work for an old man (63) on a ladder. We use HNF because we both still work but need to get away from the noise and racket of every day life and its 40 minutes away. I tried to look in the History in the Maint section but alas came up empty handed.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 10:30pm
We use "Awesome" cleaner from the dollar store, then Meguires premium wash and wax.. 
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 11:54pm
When I bought our 2010 Santa Fe, the dealer inadvertently included the exterior paint protectant which is normally $500+. Naturally, I was not asked to pay for that. Long story short, I talked to their detailer and asked what product(s) they used in the protectant process.  I found out that they use a product called Xzilon, which is also applied to airplanes,boats, etc.,  This product is not available in the retail market, but there are a few sellers on eBay that offer it.  I paid somewhere around $30 for a 7 ounce can, but so far that can has been adequate for 2 cars, my last travel trailer and my boat which I use in saltwater, the Indian River Lagoon.  The finished application is as smooth as glass, readily sheds water, bird droppings, bugs, and so forth.  Both of our cars still look as good as when they were initially treated, and I plan to apply it to my pod as soon as the exterior lighting recall work is completed. 

Prior to application, cleaning with a clay bar lubricated with auto polish is recommended.  This took about 2 hours with my large sedan.  After the paint (or fiberglass gel) is clean, Xzylon is applied which is quick and easy, taking me about 30 minutes. 

Last month we returned from a 6000 mile trip to and from the southwest.  The only bugs on the front of the trailer were a few love bugs, and these washed off easily without any scrubbing.  I have a garage full of cleaners, polishes and waxes, but I now use only the Xzilon for paint protection. 

If you are ever in my area, I will gladly demonstrate how easy it is to apply.  What a money-maker for the car dealers!!

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by furpod

We use "Awesome" cleaner from the dollar store, then Meguires premium wash and wax.. 

Ditto 100% on this recommendation, this is our exact Pod clean, wash, and wax kit package.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:36pm
I told Donna we need to get some of that "Awesome" cleaner at the dollar store. she said one of her friends that has a camper uses it and its the best. She said there is a bottle upstairs in the closet I bought a couple of weeks ago. Huuhhh, maybe I should pay more attention to what she says. huuhh , what ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by kymooses

Originally posted by furpod

Ditto 100% on this recommendation, this is our exact Pod clean, wash, and wax kit package.

Did you mean to say Meguiars wash and wax and if so, do you use the marine or auto version?  Thanks
[/URL]
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:11am
We use the auto, it's yellow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply