R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPreventing Leaks - what would you do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preventing Leaks - what would you do?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 11:33am
I know I have read about random leaks here and there as a newbie exploring the forums.  I'm thinking of possibly caulking some areas of the camper for little extra prevention to leaks. 

Where would you suggest are the biggest problem areas for leaks to occur?

The reason is that we need this pod to remain mold free.  Our daughter has been slowly getting better from Mold Toxicity (also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and we want to make every attempt to avoid an unknown/hidden leak.

This is our 4th camper so I'm pretty aware of regular camper issues.  Looking for specific pod issues here.

Thanks for your input!
Erin - TV 2010 Buick Enclave - 2014 RP182G - Equalizer hitch
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 12:31pm
Please don't take this wrong, but for YOUR particular situation, you bought the wrong camper.

With this kind of health issue, you should have bought a camper with no wood.

BUT.. I have seen no reports of "regular" leak spots. Early models did have some problems with the rear window, so far as I know all covered under warranty. There have been some problems with window gaskets on a few trailers reported, and a couple claims of "upside down" windows.. seems impossible considering their shape..

The best answer will be to watch for it, and address any found as soon as spotted.

Also, if it was me, I would pull out all the upholstery, etc, open all the compartments, both storage, and "not" and seal every bit of wood I could get to with polycrylic or something. That would go a long ways towards preventing any mold issue that can't just be sprayed with some bleach solution and wiped down..

EDIT: I didn't mean to say run without upholstery.. was just thinking to point out to get into every space, seal every surface.. But (and what made me come back) Having the cushions and such recovered in vinyl or Naugahyde would make it easier to keep as clean as you need.. or even those fitted plastic gramma covers..
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 1:00pm
To go along with Furpods recommendations, I'd also suggest crawling underneath and finding all entry points that are already sealed and add a bit more around them just to make sure.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
kaleidoscopegirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 2:59pm
Furpod:  Kinda hard to not take that wrong seeing how we do own it now, have owned campers making us completely aware of what they are made of and have, unwillingly, become experts in mold toxicity.  

Yes there are mold resistant finishes to put on wood but they are pretty much chemicals and many with mold issues develop MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) and we are trying to avoid that.   When her detox pathways are repaired with supplements she will be able to handle smaller amounts of exposure so its not a life and death scenario of having a camper and possible leaks - I was just trying to avoid it if possible.  I have owned 4 campers - so they leak.  Its what they do.  Of course we will be watching and checking at every possible point for leaks - all the time -  I already have been.  

If you ever clean mold DO NOT use bleach.  It is the worst possible thing you could add to mold.  It creates even more dangerous mycotoxins than mold emits on its own. 

Thanks and I will figure it out. 

Agreed P&M - I will check underneath for entry/exit points. 
21grandma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by kaleidoscopegirl

Furpod:  Kinda hard to not take that wrong seeing how we do own it now, have owned campers making us completely aware of what they are made of and have, unwillingly, become experts in mold toxicity.  

Yes there are mold resistant finishes to put on wood but they are pretty much chemicals and many with mold issues develop MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) and we are trying to avoid that.   When her detox pathways are repaired with supplements she will be able to handle smaller amounts of exposure so its not a life and death scenario of having a camper and possible leaks - I was just trying to avoid it if possible.  I have owned 4 campers - so they leak.  Its what they do.  Of course we will be watching and checking at every possible point for leaks - all the time -  I already have been.  

If you ever clean mold DO NOT use bleach.  It is the worst possible thing you could add to mold.  It creates even more dangerous mycotoxins than mold emits on its own. 

Thanks and I will figure it out. 

Agreed P&M - I will check underneath for entry/exit points. 
I want to know, what to use to kill mold, if not bleach. That is what I use around the tub in the bathroom. I thought that was the best way to kill mold. Don't think anyone here has a mold allergy, but I would still want to get rid of it in a safe manner. Good for you on being so informed about your daughters health issues.
21grandma
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 3:39pm
    First I would like to say I am sorry about your daughters condition. I am sure you are a lot more understanding of protecting and caring for your daughters health than others including myself. I know you asked about best places to seal that may leak. Owning a 171 for over four years ( no slide) our only concern for mold would be inside from condensation and we live in a wet humid climate, south Florida. We have our camper plugged into 110 volts all the time and run the air conditioner now and then to keep humidity low inside the camper. I thought if you were able to do that it would be of help.  I would like to add that I have mold allergies my biggest problem living in south Florida has been the mold forming in air conditioning units (air handlers and duct work) and that is were condensation develops and causes mold.  David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 3:42pm
Hi 21grandma - our house had to be professionally remediated and they used a fungicide called Quat that I think they got at a home improvement store.  Thats for bigger mold issues.  Smaller ones just need a light detergent then thoroughly dried.  I use a variety of things besides detergent.  Usually vinegar diluted.  Borax is great for washing things with mold.  I also use Hydrogen Peroxide - that I have found seems to keep it from coming back.  If you have a spot that keeps coming back you could try it.   Another good one is Tea Tree essential oil.  Good for killing and keeping it from coming back.  Be sure that the mold is damp before you wipe it up - use a spray - this way it is a little more difficult for it to release its mycotoxins into the air. 

Most of us the mold will not make sick - but some researchers say that up to 25% of us have issues that do not allow us to detox the mold toxins naturally and they build up and cause health issues.  So even though you have been using bleach, it might be okay for you because you can detox it normally.  But if it keeps coming back - try one of the other things I mentioned and see if it helps!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

First I would like to say I am sorry about your daughters condition. I am sure you are a lot more understanding of protecting and caring for your daughters health than others including myself. I know you asked about best places to seal that may leak. Owning a 171 for over four years ( no slide) our only concern for mold would be inside from condensation and we live in a wet humid climate, south Florida. We have our camper plugged into 110 volts all the time and run the air conditioner now and then to keep humidity low inside the camper. I thought if you were able to do that it would be of help.  I would like to add that I have mold allergies my biggest problem living in south Florida has been the mold forming in air conditioning units (air handlers and duct work) and that is were condensation develops and causes mold.  David and Danette

Thanks so much - Its a long slow recovery but we are absolutely thrilled she is getting better! I am so sorry you have allergies.  You might give mold toxicity a look to see if you have any other symptoms.  Dr. Shoemakers site is the best. survivingmold.com I believe it is.  It might help if you take a detoxing agent such as activated charcoal or bentonite clay to see if if it helps any.  These are called "binders" and help carry toxins out of the body.  Take 2 hours away from food because they will bind to nutrients from the food too.  Very gentle and find at health food stores.  At our house we actually had mold growing inside our ductwork.  We replaced the entire system.  There are hvac fungicides you can use to clean the coils or ask them to use when you have them cleaned. 

Thank you and yes I had read about some condensation issues.  What I had read was condensation when trying to camp in colder temps though.  We will have it in a metal building with hook up so I am thinking about a dehumidifier running - or fans - airflow is molds worst enemy. 

I see someone had installed a slideout awning somewhere and I think that might be a pretty good option too.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:53pm
Gosh common areas for leaks?  I wouldn't say any place is common.  3rd season and aside from condensation issues we've never had a drop of water in the camper.

Since it's not an older model the underside should be sealed up good already.  I'd say just watch for it.  I've never read enough posts to suggest that any one place or area needs more caulk or extra protection to keep water from getting inside.

We keep a reusable silica moisture absorber in ours and pull out any extra moisture that way.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 8:28pm
OK, well, guess you took it wrong. I meant no ill will or to disparage your situation, honestly trying to help.

I realize you already own it, and I understand you have had several other campers. BUT there are campers made with no wood. Either all composites, or all aluminum. Look up the LivinLite CampLite series.. (my parents have been RV'ing for +40 years, and they didn't know such things existed...)

Sorry I suggested bleach, it works for me. Again, we don't have this issue in our life, so we are not as well versed as someone who does.

As far as a slide out topper.. yes I did. LINK to write up..

Again, not knowing everything about the health problems your family is dealing with I suggested polycrylic because it comes in a water based low VOC formulation, and meant it as a suggestion, not a command. I figured it could be applied at the end of the season, or whenever appropriate, and the camper allowed to air out as needed. I am sorry if this is not possible for you, it was a suggestion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>