R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Back Up Camera Mod (That won't drain Pod battery!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBack Up Camera Mod (That won't drain Pod battery!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CharlieM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Up Camera Mod (That won't drain Pod battery!)
    Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 8:13am
SteveC,

The model is RVS-7706123W. It works well day and night. The dusk/evening view is even better than my eyes. The total darkness view with the infrared is OK, but best for watching bears sneak up on the back of the RPOD at night.Tongue  Being wireless it's subject to some interference, particularly in populated areas such as gas stations. DO NOT back up in gas stations without a wife  lookout!

The IR LEDs show up as reflections from the i-Phone flash. At night they glow red.... and suck on the battery. Be sure to provide a disconnect when you're not using the camera.

Happy podding,

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
SteveC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 6:45am
CharlieM
Thanks for the input...got to think that through on which method meets our need.  What model did you get from Rear View Safety for your Pod?  They look like very well made systems. 
2014 R Pod 178
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 1:48pm
You have to decide whether you want a back-up camera or a rear view camera. A back-up camera is only in use when the truck is in reverse. The rear view camera is in use anytime the truck is turned on: day or night, forward or reverse, campground or highway. It enables you to see directly behind your R-POD while driving down the highway; a really nice thing.

The camera/monitor hardware for either application is the same. The only difference is how you hook up the power to the camera and monitor. For back-up use the camera is hooked up to the rear backup light (not the brake light) on the Pod the same as recommended for the truck. For rear view use the camera and monitor must be hooked up to 12 volt sources independent of the backup lights.

I bought a wireless camera and display from Rear View Safety. The camera is installed high up and centered on the rear of the R-Pod. It's mounted to the black spoiler/clearance light bar. I brought the power wire over to the left edge of the roof, down the side of the Pod a few inches, and through the side wall into the Pod interior. Lots of silicone caulking applied. Inside it is connected to a continuous source of 12 volts. Provisions are made to disconnect the camera from power inside the trailer to avoid draining the trailer battery when not in use. 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by SteveC

The addition of a camera on the back of the Pod is great idea for safety of people and the Pod, especially for those that struggling backing up with a trailer attached.  I have looked into adding the the YADA model so I watched the install videos on the YADA site.  

I have a Chevy Silverado and the instructions say to wire the camera into the drivers side rear light...if using the camera on the truck. Wondering on the Pod if you could wire it into the rear light and if not why? 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
SteveC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 9:04am

The addition of a camera on the back of the Pod is great idea for safety of people and the Pod, especially for those that struggling backing up with a trailer attached.  I have looked into adding the the YADA model so I watched the install videos on the YADA site.  

I have a Chevy Silverado and the instructions say to wire the camera into the drivers side rear light...if using the camera on the truck. Wondering on the Pod if you could wire it into the rear light and if not why? 

2014 R Pod 178
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:41pm
Chuck, I have an I ball and I really like it. It was reasonably priced. I primarly use it for backing up and hooking up. I thought about putting a 12 volt cigar lighter socket inside and using it for an outside camera. You can also use it when backing into a camping spot, the camera has a magnetic base that you can stick on the spare tire carrier and watch as you back into a spot. the resolution on the camera is quite good.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 11:05am
Does anyone have any experience with the iBall wireless camera?
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by ThePinoyPodders

Thanks teckntrek!  Well, before we started this mod one of the things I wanted to do is have the option of a quick connect system that would allow the camera to be attached to the Pod when towing or the TV when detached from the Pod as you were suggesting.

I was thinking as a future project to add a simple "jack" style quick connect onto the trailer and my TV, should work I think :)

Cheers!

-ThePinoyPodders (Hubby)

There is no reason why that wouldn't work.  You would just need 2 mounts for the camera.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:26am
SmileOn my Chevy pickup whenever the pickup's running lights are on so are the Pod's. If I activate the 'auto'-lights...the running lights go on by themselves.  During the day I sometimes turn on the running lights (and the rear camera), just to check on any traffic that may be 'drafting' just behind the Pod.
Before installing the camera, I once had a small car do that and it was hidden from my mirrors. We both proceeded to try to pass another vehicle, scary moment as we both tried to swing into the left lane. 
TIDALWAVE
ThePinoyPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:22pm
Thanks teckntrek!  Well, before we started this mod one of the things I wanted to do is have the option of a quick connect system that would allow the camera to be attached to the Pod when towing or the TV when detached from the Pod as you were suggesting.

I was thinking as a future project to add a simple "jack" style quick connect onto the trailer and my TV, should work I think :)

Cheers!

-ThePinoyPodders (Hubby)

2010 R Pod 172
2013 Ford F-150
https://www.facebook.com/ThePinoyPodders
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>