R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCar Top Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Top Carrier
    Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 11:38pm
I have read almost every post on this forum during the past few weeks.  I noticed a few members suspect that their towing gas mileage improved when they had either a canoe or kayak(s) mounted on the roof.  The theory is that these diverted the flow of air over the TV and trailer, decreasing the inherent air drag.

If this is actually fact, why would not a  car top carrier not also divert the air flow and result in similar possible increases in gas mileage?  I am considering purchasing such a carrier to hold my folding chairs, R-Dome and a few other bulky items that are difficult to carry in the R-Pod, but only if there is a good chance it might also improve gas mileage. 

Has anyone had any experience with a car top carrier on their tow vehicle?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 7:56am
I have just gotten a car top carrier and I was wondering the same thing. I will let you know if I see any improvement. I suspect it might help but because the TV is not as wide as the Trailer that it may not punch a big enough hole in the air.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:18am
My *guess* is it will depend on the carrier, most will not sit close enough to the pod to keep air from moving back down behind them.. canoes and such are longer..
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by furpod

My *guess* is it will depend on the carrier, most will not sit close enough to the pod to keep air from moving back down behind them.. canoes and such are longer..

You might be right, especially if the carrier is the high boxy style.  I was thinking of one of the newer styles, long, low profile and with an aerodynamic shape that "might" divert the air upward.  Even then, it might not help.  Regardless, we do need the storage space for our light, bulky items on extended trips. 
 Post Reply Post Reply