R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2012 Rpod 177 problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Rpod 177 problems
    Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 7:59pm
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:04pm
I to am having axle problems that effect the brakes, not really sure what to do at this time and if it is a replacement axle it won`t be a lippert axle. Thinking of replaceing with a standarded spring axle

moe

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:42pm
There are two different makers of the torsion axle used on the pod.  The ride quality is much better vs. springs so I'd recommend sticking with torsion. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by techntrek

There are two different makers of the torsion axle used on the pod.  The ride quality is much better vs. springs so I'd recommend sticking with torsion. 

I'm waiting till I get the pod back home and then start looking at my options, I think I may good on a short camping trip brake less .
           Moe

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:00pm
dshearer, for comparison with my 2009 RP-171 which I've had for three years and eleven months:
  • Rear window leak - about two years in, I wasn't happy with how the seal looked from the outside, so I took the trailer in to my dealer and paid to have the rear window reseated
  • TV/DVD - I noticed that mine was loose in the first few weeks of ownership and tightened it down with blue loctite
  • Furnace Grill - After about a year, one screw that holds the grill in place popped out during travel.  I reinstalled both screws with a dab of blue loctite and it hasn't been a problem since.  While the loose grill rattled around, it rubbed the cabinetry and I used some furniture knick filler to clean it up.
  • Table - During the orientation session with my dealer, I was told that the table must always be lowered during travel.  This was unacceptable to me (I had just come from a tent trailer and was tired of putting up everything in the trailer before being able to use it).  Instead, I used a bungee cord to hold the back edge of the table to the support rails so that the table would stay relatively still during travel.  Its neat and out of the way - you'd never notice it even when sitting at the table.  In four years, I've never had any issues with it rubbing any walls.
  • Brackets for dump valves - noticed they were loose and used some blue loctite again
I've also had to tighten drawer slide screws, readjust the screen door (it was tilting down), tighten screws in the awning rail, replace the black sewer valve after 3 years because the gasket seal was failing, tighten screws for the bath light, re-caulk the r-dome mounting pegs, remount the propane detector (admittedly, that was because my dog kept knocking it off), replaced the seals around the outside storage bay hatches after two years, adjust blinds, replace the freshwater cap as it started to disintegrate from UV after 3 years, and so on...

I consider this all to be standard maintenance on a travel trailer.  Things jiggle and come loose.  UV dries out and rots plastics and caulking.  Screens rot.  Things wear out.  I've been fortunate to have spotted loose bolts and screws before they've completely let go and caused more damage.  But, really, all I've faced is normal wear and tear.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 11:47am
We bought our 177 used.  The previous owners had cut two square holes in the bench on the door side, near the floor. They then built wooden channels inside the bench.  So when we travel, we push the table legs into those two channels and then bungee the table.  We travel with our two bikes, so this enables us to store one bike alongside the table. It also keeps the table in place during travel.  Our furnace cover is fine, but the circuit breaker cover keeps popping off,,,a little duct tape? :)  
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
gappman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 11:42am
Bought our 177 last September. Almost immediately the wood screws holding anything with a hinge came loose. The door under the sink, loose. The storage door under the table, loose. The door above the sink, loose. The problem is, these surfaces just aren't strong enough to hold hinges that get used frequently. Also, I've posted in other areas about the heater fan being loud and they are ALL loud but the problem is, Forest River won't do anything about it because I seem to be the only one contacting them about it. Nobody else is complaining to them about it although there are some users like me who don't use it because of the noise. Their solution is to buy a heater and bring it along. That doesn't make sense to me since the trailer has one built in and I paid for it!
Rant over.
Okay, not much else has failed on the unit and I go over it with a fine tooth comb after each outing.
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 12:29pm
The heater in our popup was just as loud, so its a general issue with camper heaters unless you have a larger camper with a ducted system.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gappman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 1:10pm
I realize that, but why can't these companies put silent fans in there? Ductless or not, I have a portable fan that pushes a heck of a lot of air (without ducts) and it makes little to no noise. I just don't understand the oversight.
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by gappman

I realize that, but why can't these companies put silent fans in there? Ductless or not, I have a portable fan that pushes a heck of a lot of air (without ducts) and it makes little to no noise. I just don't understand the oversight.

They could if anyone made one. The fan on these is a squirrel cage fan that moves a lot of air but not quietly. You could probably put hushmat around these to make them quieter but  I have never tried to take mine out so I don't know how hard a job that would be. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>