R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlock on trailer door - Event Date: 16 Jun 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: lock on trailer door
    Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 8:55pm
Unhappy  Got our r-pod from a private buyer. Am learning about it and getting it ready. My husband is teaching for a few more weeks, so it has been up to me to see what we need.  It has been extremely maddening trying to get in it.  It seems that sometimes, I could unlock it, other times it would not open. I did not know if there was a sequence to it or what! Finally had my husband come out to see what I was doing wrong. Same thing. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not.  Finally figured out that one key seems to work all the time, and the other one works sometimes.Has anyone else had a hard time with the lock,even the one key that usually works is very hard to turn. It is a 2012 177
21grandma
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:04pm
I can't say I've ever seen a post or heard of anyone having trouble with their keys.  Aside from locking them in the Pod before is all.
Peanut View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:07pm
Spray some lube into the lock.  Use the straw type applicator and insert it like you would put in the key then a couple of quick squirts. I had a similar problem it took care of it, hope that might help
09 RP172
09 Nissan Xterra
Ron,Kathy, Coco 11yr Choc Lab
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Peanut

Spray some lube into the lock.  Use the straw type applicator and insert it like you would put in the key then a couple of quick squirts. I had a similar problem it took care of it, hope that might help

That's a wise suggestion.  I do that yearly as part of our general maintenance doings.  That might just do the trick!!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 2:58pm
Or deadbolt always gives my wife fits to the point I lock and unlock the trailer for her.  I have used lube on the lock but still tight. 
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 10:06pm
We have one of our outside storage compartment locks that gets stuck half the time, have tried lubricant but doese'nt seem to help much. One day I will get around to replacing the lock.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

We have one of our outside storage compartment locks that gets stuck half the time, have tried lubricant but doese'nt seem to help much. One day I will get around to replacing the lock.     David

David, I have had similar problems with storage compartment locks in the past.  Most of the time if you push in on the cover just below the lock while you are turning the key, you will not have the problem.  Usually the locking arm on the lock is pressing against the inside bead of the compartment opening.  A few times I had to bend that arm inward to decrease the friction between the 2 surfaces.

Bob
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Or deadbolt always gives my wife fits to the point I lock and unlock the trailer for her.  I have used lube on the lock but still tight. 

Sounds like a slight misalignment of the deadbolt latch and where it goes into the door jam.  If the position of the deadbolt can be changed slightly, align it better with the jam plate.  If the deadbolt latch works fine when the door is open, chances are alignment is the problem, not the deadbolt itself. In the past, I have taken a file to the jam plate so the deadbolt is properly aligned with the plate.

Bob
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by 21grandma

Unhappy  Got our r-pod from a private buyer. Am learning about it and getting it ready. My husband is teaching for a few more weeks, so it has been up to me to see what we need.  It has been extremely maddening trying to get in it.  It seems that sometimes, I could unlock it, other times it would not open. I did not know if there was a sequence to it or what! Finally had my husband come out to see what I was doing wrong. Same thing. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not.  Finally figured out that one key seems to work all the time, and the other one works sometimes.Has anyone else had a hard time with the lock,even the one key that usually works is very hard to turn. It is a 2012 177

If lube did not resolve the problem, chances are that the one key is not quite properly cut.  Have another copy made of the good key and the problem should be resolved.  This does not sound like a lock problem, but a key problem.

Bob
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 12:16am
I did have some problems with the deadbolt on my 2009 RP-171 a couple of years ago that caused issues locking/unlocking the door (although it wasn't specific to one key).  There were a couple of screws inside that needed tightening.  Essentially, I removed and then reinstalled the lock - about a 5 minute job.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>