R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear Window Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DerekMc View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Window Leak
    Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 8:59am
Just an up-date. The window was replaced on Friday and tested by mother nature Saturday. This mornings inspection showed no leaks..
Thanks Forest River and Campkins.

Derek
2009 RP174
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:42am
We had our rear window replaced because it leaked the first weekend we bought it in 2010 (previously-loved) and camped by the dealer.  So, I'm assuming with some pressure from the dealer, FR sent us a new window with the weeping holes but we had to pay for the installation.  We have had no leaks from the rear window since then, just some serious condensation when we don't have the fan on and the window cracked open when camping.

We also have some rain blowing in from between the side windows on to the back walls if we are driving in heavy rain and wind.  That problem is ea is easily solved by simply stuffing some paper towel between the blinds and the window to catch the mist/spray.

Campkins should be able to make things right for you :)
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
DerekMc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 9:48am
Campkins replaced the gasket but alas it still leaks. Going o talk with Campkins about a plan B, replace the window.
Derek
2009 RP174
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 1:17am
Campkins?  I didn't notice that you're from Toronto...

They're my local dealer and they've been fantastic with warranty work on my trailers over the years.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
DerekMc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 3:47pm
Thanks HuronSailer and Outbound
Campkins sent me an email letting me know that FR will cover the cost of installing a new gasket.
Big shout_out to FR and Campkins.

Derek
2009 RP174
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:09am
After the warranty expired on my 2009 RP171, I had noticed that the factory caulking job around the rear window was shoddy.

Now, I'm usually a hands-on guy and tend to fix things myself.  I asked around on the forums, and after hearing HuronSailor's tale, I remembered something my stepfather told me as I was trying to replace the exhaust on an old beater of a car I had as a teenager: sometimes its well worth it to pay someone else to do the fiddly jobs.  So, instead, I took the trailer into my dealer (whom I trust to do repair work) and asked them to remove the window, clean things up and reinstall/reseal it.  In total, it was $140.

The thing is, at the time, I thought like the OP: I had a condensation problem.  Certainly, there was no sign of water damage/leakage/mold or anything.  But, after I had the window resealed, the condensation problem improved 99%.  In retrospect, I may have had a small leak.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 11:05am
In our 2009 172, this issue was a real burr under my saddle and took several tries to resolve. The leak was so bad the rear dinette cushions and dinette table got soaked, causing the table to delaminate.

While still under warranty, the dealer tried to fix the leak in the original window by removing and resealing the glass - fail.  I could actually go inside and push on the bottom of the rear window and separate it from the frame. After speaking with an RV tech that seemed to have some actual knowledge, FR replaced the window with a new and improved design, which included weep holes at the bottom - missing from the original window. (Table was also replaced.)

Problem solved until we drove through an all day frog choker rainstorm. The leak was back, but not nearly as severe as the with the original window. I believe I have the problem whipped now: the weep holes don't actually come down to the bottom of the frame, they leave a tiny bit of water standing. Not a problem if the window was perfectly vertical. After extending the weep holes farther down with a small file and driving through several more torrential downpours the leak seems to be fixed. My theory is that the trapped water was being forced inside by the air coming over the back of the pod. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
DerekMc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:22am
I finally realized that the water I would find in the rear window of our RP174 was more  that just condensation Angry. It's not a big one leak so that's why I was just considering it to be condensation. With 4 years of a leak, one would think that there would have been some water damage visible but there is none. 
After reading many posts on this problem and getting a response from FR that for this model now
• not covered under any warranty
• no service bulletin about leak repairs
• removing and resealing might solve the leak
• replacing the window with a newer designed one might fix the leak
• all the other windows have drain holes except for the rear window

So a question to the Podder world is, if you had a leak in your 2009 R-pod what did you end up doing to fix the leak? I'm leaning towards just replacing the window.

Thanks in advance.
Derek 

Post Reply Post Reply