This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:04pm
ToolmanJohn, I have found my 2007 4Runner Limited to be a very capable TV. Been towing my 178 a few miles from NJ to CA, Pacific Northwest, Canada, entire east coast a few times from Maine to Florida, etc. The only time I ever felt under powered was 55+ mph headwinds crossing the Rockies in Wyoming. Perhaps difference is later model.

Stephen, interesting reading on NC gray water. Should probably be printed and placed inside all RV's w/outdoor shower. I am sure most new purchasers assume the outdoor shower on their Pod means washing the dog, the kids, the dishes and the whole family outside. Wonder what the park ranger thinks (and does) when he/she sees the shower enclosure strung up on the side of the pod.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:19pm
I can understand an occasional dishpan of water for someone backpack hiking, but any time there is a holding tank, it is a place for bacteria to breeed. Dish water is (surprisingly) classified as black water, even if it is going into a "gray" water tank. I used to think that black water was just what went down the toilet. However, it makes sense that food and grease particles can also breed bacteria, so dumping a gray water holding tank is not as innocuous as a dishpan of water. Army Field Sanitation training also taught me that it is not proper to just dump water on the ground. The proper way is to dig a soakage pit or trench away from water streams/supplies and then to cover it over when done. I doubt the Forest Service or any campground would look kindly upon RV owners digging soakage pits or trenches for disposal of gray water.

For me, I see the outside shower as a way to rinse sand off from the beach or to rinse muddy feet before going inside for a proper shower. I don't see it as a substitute for the inside shower.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:26pm
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:15pm
 If rinsing off outside, no soap. Water only. Nothing wrong with that as long as the water can drain properly.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue Highways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 10:08pm
Thanks for the link, Stephen. The Good Sam linked discussion was interesting, as that one applies to camping, not industry effluent and the EPA. It seems the Good Sam discussion brought different opinions to light in a cooperative way.

I trust that caring people generally want to do the right (best) thing for all, as long as it does not heavily favor one user's output vs. another type of user's. It's sounding like it is dealt with differently in various campgrounds; not so much a locked in state-wide mandate.

The point made about shower water from an RV exterior shower being absorbed vs. water from that same length shower taken "inside" the RV enclosure does create a quandry, but Stephen clarifies it well by saying the outside shower could be looked upon a "rinse off" as you might find on a beach, and would probably not involve soap and shampoo. Inside the RV, a rinse off or shower water output would join with other water that rinsed dishes, changing it's overall nature.

Here's a little excerpt from that link that was interesting:

It probably has something to do with the old adage, "Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile". If dumping grey water on the ground was endorsed, then many campsites would become mud holes. Having to dump grey water at a dump station provides an incentive for people to use the campground's shower facilities. 

As far as tent campers go, we do not have showers so there is no shower water to dump. My dishwater goes in the fire pit. If I had to transport every pail of water to a dump station, I would quit tent camping. 

Plus, rustic campgrounds often favored by tent campers have no dump station to begin with. So now that I have pumped a pail of water to wash my dishes, what in the heck am I supposed to do with it when I am done? Surely cannot dump it in the outhouse.

----------------------------

So it looks like it's slightly tricky concerning the tent camper (or pop-up tent trailer without collection tank) vs. any RV that collects non-toilet water from camping activities into a tank for disposal at will.

My conclusion now is that it's probably best to decide to only release gray at a dump station, and resist that brief temptation some of us have had over our camping years to let it run off into some non-descript area. But I will not pass any judgement on tents and tent trailers that don't have receiving tanks.

Appreciate the link and having some of us talk it out a bit, Stephen.

Brad
Twdamisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Twdamisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:07am
This is Blu, our 2018 R-Pod 180.

TWD
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:14am
Nice set up!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote birderdiane526 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:36am
Congratulations on your new pod and happy trails!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:10am
i will just say this. The pathogenic bacteria from fecal matter is way way more of a threat to health than grey water. I would even go as far as to say grey water is no threat to health at all.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by malkbean2

i will just say this. The pathogenic bacteria from fecal matter is way way more of a threat to health than grey water. I would even go as far as to say grey water is no threat to health at all.

Have you ever rinsed a piece of chicken off before cooking it? Then you may very well have introduced salmonella bacteria into your gray water tank. Other food-borne pathogens may also find their way into the gray tank. The warm, moist environment in the gray tank provides a good environment for them to multiply and grow. That is why holding tank dumping should only be done at a proper dump station.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 87>