This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

It didn't come with one?  The factory Ford controller is excellent and normally comes with the package.
The Ford controller IS excellent. However, it is not included in all of the various tow packages. The basic tow package does not include the brake controller, but the two higher-end tow packages do. Luckily, it's not a big deal to add it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 5:56am
Yeah didn't come with the package, so we added it the other day. It did come with the trailer backing
assist with be trying that out right off and giving a report. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
theskyking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote theskyking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:33pm
I've been lurking for a couple YEARS now, lol. Still debating trying to get a 176T and pull it with my 2002 4runner V6. The vehicle is rated for 5,000 lbs but when I tow my 4200lb boat, my car really isn't very happy. Anyone have comments?

Also, a question: looks like the r pod has a cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of around 1000lbs give or take. But, with 3 tanks - clean water and 2 dirty water - at about 30 gal each, that's almost 1000 pounds in water / waste ! How do people load up their gear AND have full tanks and not exceed the max weight of the r pod? 

Thanks!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm
We towed our 179 behind my sister's Honda Pilot with no problem at all except for the gas mileage went way down.

As far as towing with 3 full tanks, we usually only fill the fresh water tank about half full and very seldom leave the park with full black and gray tanks. 

If you are concerned about the weight I would suggest carrying some of you heavier stuff in your tow rig.
The Pirate's Pod
jcat5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jcat5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:26pm
I'm with Capt Kidd.  I just completed my second trip with our RP180 and I knew I would be staying with full hookups for a 3 day weekend and only going 80 miles in this case.  Therefore, I didn't bother filling my fresh tank before blast off and I dumped both holding tanks prior to leaving.  This is my second RV and I found the same sorts of experience with my old one too, very rarely did I go very far with much in the tanks.  When dry camping I always ran my gray water out into the bushes via a garden hose (no different than tent campers dumping their dish/shower buckets) and/or could generally dump close to camp, if not at the camp exit.  

As to towability, my Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 3.6 Pentastar is having no issues, save an undersized radiator due to not having the factory tow package.  That will be remedied this winter (along with more trans cooling for cheap insurance).  

Very happy with our 'pod in the early days of ownership.
"Always walk a mile in someone's shoes before criticizing them. That way, when the criticizing begins, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by jcat5150

I'm with Capt Kidd.  I just completed my second trip with our RP180 and I knew I would be staying with full hookups for a 3 day weekend and only going 80 miles in this case.  Therefore, I didn't bother filling my fresh tank before blast off and I dumped both holding tanks prior to leaving.  This is my second RV and I found the same sorts of experience with my old one too, very rarely did I go very far with much in the tanks.  When dry camping I always ran my gray water out into the bushes via a garden hose (no different than tent campers dumping their dish/shower buckets) and/or could generally dump close to camp, if not at the camp exit. 
 . . .

Very happy with our 'pod in the early days of ownership.

If you come to North Carolina, please don't run the gray water out into the bushes. You would be in violation of state law. Please check the laws where you camp to see if dumping gray water is legal or illegal. In case you are wondering, campsites in NC have places for those in tents to do dishes.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Roadrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:55pm
Just did our shakedown outing with our new 180. 2225 miles. Tow was our 2015 Expedition with 3.5 ecoboost 6 cyl. I didn't know it was back there. Set the cruise at 65 mph and averaged 14 mpg. The converter quit in South Dakota. Called the dealer in Round Rock Tx we bought the Pod from and tech troubleshot it with me, found a dealer close that had one but couldn't install for a week. My dealer agreed that if I would buy and install myself they would reimburse me when home. I did and all went well. I also did not have any China bombs go off. I had checked the tires and are D rated with 75 mph max speed. We are really happy with the R Pod.

Roger
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by theskyking

I've been lurking for a couple YEARS now, lol. Still debating trying to get a 176T and pull it with my 2002 4runner V6. The vehicle is rated for 5,000 lbs but when I tow my 4200lb boat, my car really isn't very happy. Anyone have comments?

Also, a question: looks like the r pod has a cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of around 1000lbs give or take. But, with 3 tanks - clean water and 2 dirty water - at about 30 gal each, that's almost 1000 pounds in water / waste ! How do people load up their gear AND have full tanks and not exceed the max weight of the r pod? 

Thanks!

A 4Runner doesn't have loads of torque, and hills and 55+ mph are the enemy. Drop the transmission a gear manually (4 speed put it into 3rd, 5 speed put it into 4th), and don't try to win any land speed records when towing.

In fact, with a 2002, I think you have a 3.0 liter (aka the 3 point slow liter) engine. Bulletproof, but 4Runners are designed to be good off-road, low gear and slow. They are not good tow vehicles unless you are well below their towing capacity. I know first hand.I had a 2003 4Runner, 4.0 liter V6, for 10 years.  But after I towed with it for almost a year, I knew I wanted to make a change, main reason was fuel economy and towing ability.

You will never have more than 30 gallons of water aboard.

You start a trip with 30 gallons fresh, and between showers, sink, and toilet, the fresh water ends up int he gray or black tanks. So unless you are not dumping the gray and black, but refilling the fresh, you won't ever have more than 250 pounds of water (30gal X 8.34lbs/gal).
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue Highways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:54pm
Have some observations about tanks, the official R-Pod weight limit, powering the fridge, but first, 2 sentences about our latest R-Pod run:

We took 4 days and did a beautiful mini-vacation, staying mostly aligned with the Blue Ridge Parkway from Linville, NC area, and two nights at the KOA at Natural Bridge, VA on the northernmost part of the loop. Our last night before home was at the KOA in Boone, (the highest elevation KOA East of the Mississippi.)

Over a few years, I tend to feel comfortable carrying about 50% fresh water along, because the water we get at home is so pure. Even though we had H20 hookups per usual at KOAs, depending on locale, sometimes the water in some locations is a little heavy on sanitizers, or just doesn't taste as well. In those cases, I'll still hook up to camp water, using it for optional in-house showers, dishes, etc. but when that's done, if the shore water isn't so clean tasting, I'll close the camp H2O valve and pump some of our own on-board water for coffee, tea, or water for the next round of cooking. That's the scenario only if the water tastes a bit nasty from the spigot of the day.

A second reason I have for not running up the road with a nearly empty fresh water supply, is that if we end up for some reason dry camping due to an unexpected change or interruption in our road progress, for whatever reason 
¯\_()_/¯.... it's nice to feel self sufficient with good tasting water available on board. Also nice in case a driving break pullout view warrants pushing out the slider, (which on the 179 contains the dinette/fridge/micro) and having your good H20 onboard for lunch, to mix up tea or lemonade, etc. 

Still, I try to always have our black water emptied or very low when starting out, and be diligent keeping the gray water level low so as not to add extra cargo weight (beyond carrying the 50% fresh levels). Stephen pointed out that in NC the laws are harsh for letting a sink full of gray water out to absorb into a gravel or grassy camping zone while boon docking, so I will check into that. I'm currently somewhere in the middle on gray water, in line with Jcatt. The real concern is someone letting gray water puddle up in an area that interferes with a next camper's family area. And obviously, one should never let any quantity of gray water trickle down by gravity in the direction of any creek. But I also cringe at the scenario that you will be followed, accosted & zip tied for letting 2.25 gallons of shower water trickle into some grass edged with a shamble of scruffy bushes somewhere. However, if NC takes an extraordinary view of gray water control from the camping public, I will check into this, as I live in this state, and would not be the type to flaunt its laws.

With thoughts of cargo weight and our roughly 1100 limit, I have a confession to make to the forum: We once used the R-Pod for a dual cargo carrying + camping run, where we were definitely overloaded. We would remove about 6 heavy plastic bins riding on the hitch-side master bed and stack them nightly behind the trailer in 2 neat rows at each campsite. I'm quite sure that we could have been up in the 1600 # zone; perhaps greater. There was no lingering issues that ever came of that, (and we would never be in a position to carry so much cargo again... it was a pain!), but it did alter my set point from "worried & crossing fingers about the 1100" to "being a little more relaxed" about stressing about the stated limit. My conclusion? The R-Pod, if towed judiciously, and not subjected to extremely rough roads at speed or coming into corners too hot, will exhibit a good measure more composure and body integrity than the official limits that Forest River Lawyers would have you believe. Still, lighter = a better, safer experience all around and slows brake and transmission wear.

What's another weight contributor? Propane.

We kept to one standard propane tank, because (despite my early drive to get a double tank hook-up), we found that without being the slightest way conservative, we just don't use very much propane. This is true despite extensively stove cooking in the camper, and on chilly nights, letting the heater run comfortably warm for as long as wife wants on 36° summer nights in the Yukon Territories Wink (She is the fine cook of the rolling house.) We've done multiple strings of boon docking with chilly nights. For us, the single propane bottle sitting on the tongue does us just fine. 

Also, I am a firm believer in NOT subjecting the fridge energy draw to my tow vehicle's charging system every time I tow the vehicle a set distance, and now with some research, have completely relaxed about any nervousness of running the fridge on the road primarily using propane to do the cooling. I've noticed just how much less responsive the fridge is to 12V DC (outside of AC shore power). IMHO, leaving the cooling to an alternator charged 12V system churned out by the tow vehicle seems the least efficient way to cool your fridge, (with potentially more expensive wear and tear components in your tow vehicle engine bay). Should your bargman connector get pulled (or slightly dislodged) by road debris, (and this can happen), looking into your fridge after 3.5 hours travelling the hot asphalt with a loss of DC to the back may lead to a sad state of affairs for your food goodies. Again, just my humble opinion that propane powered fridges on the road are not unsafe, the data just doesn't support the fears.

I'm OK with shutting off the propane before re fueling the vehicle, or respecting any posted rules for entering certain tunnels, but largely, I feel propane makes the most sense, and I know a great % of experienced campers have no qualms with propane supplying refrigeration while traveling. So for us, with all this stated propane use, we're doing fine with the single factory R-Pod tank set up. Last cylinder exchange? $14.99 at Bi-Lo. That's not much $ for a long lasting fuel supply that takes care of the camp fridge while leaving the alternator to carry its normal duty load.

Final ramble: Roadrunner.... way to go on removing and replacing your own converter! That's something I feel would have not been in my comfort zone, so I was impressed. LOL on the lack of China bombs going off. In agreement with you, we received really good factory original tires that have worn well. And, in real life traffic, sometimes you have to go a few ticks over 70 to get you and your R-Pod into a safer highway position. It's nice to know our tires have that D rating. Happy also with the R-Pod as well. Don't recommend using it as a "Cargo-Pod", but it got us through a "Haul & Camp" despite the 1100 cargo limit. Tough, well-built little camper; maybe we got lucky, but totally happy with the WanderPod.

B&L Nottingham
Western NC
Towed by "BG" '10 Tundra CM

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
Please see this link for NC law on gray water. This link from the Good Sam's Open Roads Forum is also appropriate to the topic of dumping gray water.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 87>