This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadtripin1730 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:46pm
This is our 2016 R-pod 179. We bought her 3 weeks ago. She just got back from Niagra Falls. We are towing her with a Mazda CX-9. 

Lola, Greg & Carlos
JayTizzoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JayTizzoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
I still cannot get my pictures to post in here, everything I have tried has not worked so far.
John and Kari T.
2017 RPOD 179
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 2:32pm
Great pictures!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm
how did the 179 tow with the 2,4 liter mazda cx9 ?
ice651 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ice651 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 10:06pm
Greetings users...
We just picked up our first RV... a 2010 R-Pod 172.  So far so good, been restoring the finish a bit since it was neglected a tad (shame shame).  Took her on a maiden voyage to Door County last week and all worked great!   Already seen some great info on here that helped me set all this up right the first time.  Thanks to all!

-Andy

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 6:35am
Congratulations and welcome! Your setup looks nice.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote backin15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 12:27pm
We are towing with a 2013 Xterra Pro 4X. Previously, I was towing a 6,000# camper with a 3/4 ton Dodge, and have found the Xterra/Rpod combination a much more pleasant towing experience. Between the truck and the camper, I am about 10 feet shorter which is nice in a tight campground.
Since the Xterra has soft suspension and will bottom out over a bump with two people in the back seat, I had installed Firestone air bags which made a weight distribution hitch unnecessary. I did encounter some sway while towing in a crosswind, so I added a friction sway bar which seems to have resolved the sway issue. Overall, I am very happy with how well the Xterra pulls the pod.
2015 179
2013 Xterra Pro 4X
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by backin15

We are towing with a 2013 Xterra Pro 4X. Previously, I was towing a 6,000# camper with a 3/4 ton Dodge, and have found the Xterra/Rpod combination a much more pleasant towing experience. Between the truck and the camper, I am about 10 feet shorter which is nice in a tight campground. Since the Xterra has soft suspension and will bottom out over a bump with two people in the back seat, I had installed Firestone air bags which made a weight distribution hitch unnecessary. I did encounter some sway while towing in a crosswind, so I added a friction sway bar which seems to have resolved the sway issue. Overall, I am very happy with how well the Xterra pulls the pod.
Considering the much lighter weight of the Xterra, you might want to at least weigh the axles of the Xterra and Rpod to see how the weight is distributed. I know that the airbags have resolved the extra weight on the rear axle issue for you, but you may still be a little light on the front wheels, which can make a huge difference when on winding roads and/or steeper terrain. I think you might be better off with a WDH instead of, or in addition to the airbags; if only for safety sake.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by backin15

We are towing with a 2013 Xterra Pro 4X.  Since the Xterra has soft suspension and will bottom out over a bump with two people in the back seat, I had installed Firestone air bags which made a weight distribution hitch unnecessary. I did encounter some sway while towing in a crosswind, so I added a friction sway bar which seems to have resolved the sway issue. Overall, I am very happy with how well the Xterra pulls the pod.

I have a friend who also tows with an Xterra, a 3000 pound Pop-Up. YES the Xterra has significant sag. He has not measured the tongue weight and I recommended he do so, offered my Sherline 1000 pound tongue scale to him but he hasn't been able to get to me since mid June.

I think the softer Xterra suspension (designed as a compromise for good off-roading ability) contributes to handling when towing. Just leveling with air bags most definitely does NOT distribute the weight back to the front axle of the tow vehicle, it just reduces rear sag. You should get a weight distribution with sway control hitch and it may solve all handling/safety issues.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
pjmarko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pjmarko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 2:53pm
I am looking at purchasing a R-Pod 179 and doing some traveling., due to retire shortly.  I have a 2016 F150 4X4 SCAB with 2.7 EB.  Should I look at getting a w/d hitch and do I need towing mirrors?  I have the tow package (not the max tow package) with brake controller. I will be traveling alone so not much will be in the truck.
Pete
2016 Ford F150 4X4 SCAB 2.7 EB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 87>