This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Hairy Podders

The 2 door Unlimited was built '04-'06. The wheelbase is 104". Half of '05 & '06 Jeep offered the 2 door Unlimited with the Rubicon package. Which I have. One of the nice things about that package is the 4.10-1 axle ratios. As near as I can tell, Jeep built about 10,000 2 door Unlimited Rubicons. What is the wheelbase of a Liberty?
It pulled the Pod fine as far as stability went, with the Blue Ox WDH & sway control. I have a 6 speed standard trans & ran 4th & 5th gears all the way home. Yeah, another 100 horsepower would have been nice. But it does just about exactly what I expected. I expect Fuel mileage, when I'm not fighting a 35mph head wind like on the drive home, should be 10.5-11.5. I'm dragging the Pod to Colorado this summer & then taking the Jeep trailriding. It'll be a great time.

Where and when in CO?  I'll be in silverton at the end of July. Hopefully towing our tj & pod together on a gooseneck.
'14 182g
Towed by various Jeeps
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote outermostpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Sleepless

Outermostpost, we have a 178 and towed 6000 miles out west and back with our 2010 V6 272 hp) Santa Fe.  No problems, except we had to down-shift on some of the grades and averaged 13.5 mpg.  We were cramped for space in the Santa Fe, which is to be expected in a mid-sized SUV.  We solved the space problem by trading the Santa Fe in on a Chevrolet Avalanche.  Your new Santa Fe should do well, as long as the space is adequate.

The 2014 Santa Fe is a long wheelbase model with 3 rows of seats, 291 hp.  The space behind the 2nd row is cavernous with the 3 row folded down.  The 2nd row is captains chairs which my 9 yr old really enjoys. I like the car/truck/suv/whatever it is so far.  I've been getting 25 mpg without the trailer attached so I expect mid-teens with the pod.  It seems to be a "does everything pretty well" kind of vehicle.  Not the most exciting thing to drive, but scores well in all the areas that matter wrt to a family hauler.  

We did have some issues getting a brake controller wired in, but we solved that with a Tekonsha Prodigy RF - that's a discussion for another thread though.

I'll be shopping for another Jeep to drive in the summer at some point but "gotta pinch the pennies" as my wife says first.  I don't like being Jeep-less but it just wasn't comfy enough for long hauls with the pod.
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 1:02pm
I'm starting to think that a Commander with a Hemi would be a good choice. Of course, I'd *need* to lift it & put bigger tires on it.
Kermit, IM me on this forum & I'll give you the dates, locations.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Hairy Podders

The 2 door Unlimited was built '04-'06. The wheelbase is 104". Half of '05 & '06 Jeep offered the 2 door Unlimited with the Rubicon package. Which I have. One of the nice things about that package is the 4.10-1 axle ratios. As near as I can tell, Jeep built about 10,000 2 door Unlimited Rubicons. What is the wheelbase of a Liberty?
It pulled the Pod fine as far as stability went, with the Blue Ox WDH & sway control. I have a 6 speed standard trans & ran 4th & 5th gears all the way home. Yeah, another 100 horsepower would have been nice. But it does just about exactly what I expected. I expect Fuel mileage, when I'm not fighting a 35mph head wind like on the drive home, should be 10.5-11.5. I'm dragging the Pod to Colorado this summer & then taking the Jeep trailriding. It'll be a great time.

Okay it is not the short 2 Door its an Unlimited like the new 4 door. Wheelbase on the Liberty is 106" so not so much different than your Unlimited. I too would have liked an extra 100hp but even more I would have liked the 5 speed transmision or one of the new 8 speeds that come with the Grand Cherokee. The 4 speed automatic in mine runs in third most of the time when I am towing and when I get on a grade it drops to 2nd. In second I can't go any faster than 45 MPH or I overrev the engine. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 5:28pm
Anvil10A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anvil10A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:53pm
Great forum!!!  Well I am new here but we are upgrading from our 2005 Rockwood pop up camper, and just purchased a 2014 R Pod 179, fully loaded!  We are very excited and already have many trips planned.  Just wanted to post what I will be towing with, its a 2013 10th anniversary Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, cant wait to park the pod and continue the adventures and have a nice "home" to come back to!  The pop up is soon to be the new 179 in only 12 days, but who's counting! 

Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:34pm
Great to see another Wrangler pulling a Pod!!
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anvil10A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anvil10A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:57pm
Thanks, probably my favorite Jeep ever (I've had a few!)  Going to be mounting new 37" tires for the spring/summer but not sure I will tow with them.  I have a second set of wheels with the 35" I currently have on there, and am geared at 4:10. I will have to see how the Jeep handles the pod before changing my gearing(probably to 4:88), but all in all I just cant wait to get the pod!  Its gonna be a great season!
Kermit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 10:15pm
Sorry for the crappy photo.  Trailer length is not optimal but it got the job done!
'14 182g
Towed by various Jeeps
Anvil10A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anvil10A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 6:09am
I can't say I've ever seen that combo before! Looks like a tight squeeze on that trailer but it fits! That's awesome, nice jeep too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 87>