This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:19pm
It's R's! Our Pod is in R driveway. 2014 178.

Overall, very happy with fit 'n finish and dealer prep/orientation. Been spending the last few hours coming up with a hit list. There is always a hit list. So far, the only issue I am concerned about is Dometic refrigerator door fit. It seems to be off a bit with a small gap in top left seal. I think it requires a bit too much "push" to get it to latch and after reading the docs, don't think it should require as much. Seems like the right side top hinge is a bit out of adjustment causing the door to bind a bit when closing. Any ideas?

Anyway, I will have tons more questions, but tow home (about 2 hours) was without incident and for better or worse...we are officially podders.

TV is 2007 4Runner Limited V6 (50K miles) w/factory towing package. Pod dealer installed Trunion Style WD & friction sway bars and brake control.

Should have gotten longer water hose...

fred

P&M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote P&M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:26am

Congratulations!  Looks good sitting at home!!

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:26am
That is one good looking pod!!  Have you planned your first outing yet?  I would not worry about the length of your hose.  I have found that it is better to carry two shorter hoses rather than one long one.  Usually a short hose is long enough and easier to handle, and, if need be, just connect the second hose to it.  I do the same with my coax cable.  I carry one rather short one, plus a longer one and a connector.  Normally the shorter one is enough.

I still have another 3 weeks before my new 178 is delivered to my dealer.  I noticed that they already have my 2010 173 advertised although they won't have it until my new one arrives. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Ivinest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ivinest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:58am
On month 5 with our 2013 RP177. Your fridge is under warantee. We had a broken shelf in ours. Through the dealer, Dometic sent a new shelf with no questions asked. We had to buy an additional sewer hose with a coupler along with another f/w hose and a heavy duty electrical extension cord as many campsite are not always close to the connections. A couple other items you might want to grab are a clear 45 degree angle sewer coupler and electrical adapters male and female. You never know what you are going to encounter as you travel. We also got an additional sewer hose storage tube (longer) and mounted it behind the one one that came with the pod. Most of these items are available at Walmart and are rather inexpensive.

Tom & Gloria, Port Charlotte, FL
GrapeSoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GrapeSoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:44am
2014 RP177.... towed with A 2009 Toyota Tacoma.   This is my first travel trailer and I thought I would feel the weight on the back when towing..... I was pleasantly surprised that I don't feel the trailer at all when towing.   I bought an expensive weight distribution hitch because I was scared of towing in a small truck, but once I attached the trailer I realized I didn't need it.   I haven't towed on the highway yet, so I am not sure if I need a sway bar or not..... the dealer mechanic said I probably would not need one, but there is no way to really know till I get out on the highway.

fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Sleepless

That is one good looking pod!!  Have you planned your first outing yet?  I would not worry about the length of your hose.  I have found that it is better to carry two shorter hoses rather than one long one.  Usually a short hose is long enough and easier to handle, and, if need be, just connect the second hose to it.  I do the same with my coax cable.  I carry one rather short one, plus a longer one and a connector.  Normally the shorter one is enough.

I still have another 3 weeks before my new 178 is delivered to my dealer.  I noticed that they already have my 2010 173 advertised although they won't have it until my new one arrives. 

Bob

Thanks Bob! We are planning all kinds of outings. Planning is part of the fun. Ricketts Glen State Park or Hawk Mountain both look great and are close by. Hoping our (other) schedule doesn't keep us from getting out before winterization. That time is rapidly approaching.

In the meantime...we're shopping!

First thing I noticed was: It's considerably less expensive outfitting a small TT than it is a small yacht!! That 25 ft. length of drinking water hose for $10 would have been $50 at West Marine!.This morning's Amazon shopping list:

Holmes HFH436WGL-UM Heater Fan with Bathroom Safe Plug
Curt 28276 Jack Caster Assembly
Curt 28272 Jack Foot
Camco 57363 Leveling Scissor Jack Socket

Also, firing up Google Sketchup again to start modeling some modifications we think might be nice. Borrowing from futon frame design, I don't see a big reason why the aft queen could not be made into a nice convertible with end table over water heater/furnace locker and another aft of head w/storage access below. Comfortable folding mattresses are a bit of a challenge. For those with a 172 or just like messing with Sketchup, there is a beautiful model @ http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=33359a70c7945ba9fbaf67cf0952613f

Back to shopping...

fred

fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by GrapeSoda

2014 RP177.... towed with A 2009 Toyota Tacoma.   This is my first travel trailer and I thought I would feel the weight on the back when towing.....

GS, we just brought our new 178 home from dealer on the back of our 2007 4Runner Limited. We opted for the WD Hitch and friction sway bar. Home tow was about 2 hours - PA turnpike, heavy urban traffic and small country roads.

I definitely knew the pod was back there. Not because of any strain of the vehicle, but because it was a bit "bumpier" than the normally smooth ride of the 4Runner. In traffic @ slow speeds, the trailer breaks are noticeable. I might need to adjust those a bit. All the WD hitch hardware might be overkill, but I don't think it will hurt. Again, the 4Runner showed no signs of strain with the load. I played a little with Overdrive vs. 4th on relatively flat terrain and, frankly, couldn't tell a difference.

We are close to a couple of state parks w/dump stations and no highways in between so if I need to make a short run, I'll probably use my regular 2" receiver. I might carry it with me if I decide not to leave the WD gear on back of TV full time.

fred
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:34am
Fred, check the diameter of your jack shaft before you order your caster assembly.  I have found that they come in 2 different sizes.  The same is probably true for the foot assembly.  Didn't your pod come with the foot assembly?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:25am
Thanks Bob. The jack on my frame is a Ram - RAM155157. I just measured the inner tube O.D. @ 2". Not a lot of specs on the caster or foot I ordered, but both say they fit 2" tubes.

No, my pod didn't come with a foot, but you prompted me to go look and I did find an extra 30 amp to 15 amp adapter in the trunk. Thanks for asking, though, and all your advice!

fred
Hylandspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hylandspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:33pm
Here is a pic of our set up, when we were at White Sands last month.

We love this set up. The Avalanche has such a short bed, it is a little tight carrying the motorcycle in the back. Eventually, we will get another TV. Right now we are happy podders.
Roxanne and Rick
Bella, Cuban dingo dog
RR-Pod 178
2006 Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 87>