R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway Bar Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bar Rig
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:59pm
The next question I have is where can one find these items for sale? Growing up on a ranch in Idaho before I joined the Navy back in 1978 I did no work on engines and stuff like that. My uncle did all the engine work, while the oldest uncle did all the cattle work, which I loved to do. So cars, trucks and anything to do with vehicles I am clueless, for the most part.
Now if you want wood work, wood turning I am pretty darn good at it. I am also pretty good at collecting rocks, gems and minerals. Well I am good at it if my wife is near by she has degrees in geology and paleontology.
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:51pm
Lots of people recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy models, as they are good brake controllers. Over the years, I've used The Prodigy and also Tekonsha's cheaper models, the Voyager and the Primus. These two models also do a good job, and will save you some money, if that is an issue. Of the 3 models, I like the Primus best. It's smaller than the Prodigy, gives all the info you need, has the boost feature like the Prodigys, and, to me, is easier to set up, and adjust. The Voyager is good, too, but is more difficult to adjust, having just a multicolored light instead of a digital readout, and has no boost feature. If ya have the finances, then I'll bet the wireless model Prodigy would be neat, but I have had no experience with that model.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:39pm
Sounds great thank you so much for all the information.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:28pm
Yes and your RPOD has electric brakes. The harnesses I've seen included with trucks do not have plugs on both ends.They end in separate wires intended for splicing into existing cables. Too much hassle. You can buy (about $10) a short cable made especially for the controller and your truck.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:03pm
Well when all else fails read the instructions or in this case the TV's owners manual. As I was reading the above comments I recalled a few details about our Titan. 1- A tow mode switch on the dash. Reading the owners manual I find one needs to turn this one when pulling a load as it will downshift the transmission when driving down steep or long hills. Which will in turn help slow the vehicle without applying the brakes. 2- in my glove box there is a wire harness. I never gave it much thought until now. Reading the owners manual ( always a good thing, but being a stubborn Navy guy I never do) it gives me complete instructions how this harness is used and how to install this jumper cable in the instrument panel when installing an electric trailer brake controller. But I think this may be for a trailer with electronic brakes, at least that is what the owners manual says.
WOW will wonders of the modern age ever amaze me.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 6:35pm
Thank you. I am burning up my eyes and brain reading all the posts trying to learn as much as I can. I have also started a check list I can use to check items in our unit before, during and after our trips. I think a check list will be a great help for me until I get used to what needs to be done.
And I do have the black connector.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 6:16pm
No problem. We all have something to learn. Fortunately it's different for each podder; hence the value and success of this form.

The Bergman is a round black connector mounted near the hitch on the rear. That's where you plug the trailer into the truck  I'm fairly confident you have one

The only connection inside is to a pre-installed connector hanging under the dash on the driver's side. No connection to the cigarette lighter necessary. Read the Prodigy instructions and you'll be fine.

Happy podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 6:03pm
I hate to sound in the dark here but what is a 7 pin Bergman? Our Titan has the tow package in it and there is a elect. plug near the hitch so I assume this is what you are talking about?
Also once I mount the controller in the cab where do I plug in? The cigarette lighter?
Darn I really am in the dark about all this stuff. I really thought I had done some research but now I see I did not do enough by along shot.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:58pm
The Tekonsha Prodigy 3 controller is $144 at Amazon, plus $10+ for a vehicle specific adapter cable. Your 2012 truck should be pre-wired for it. If you have the 7 pin Bergman connector on the rear you're good to go. Just mount the controller in the cab and plug it in.

Happy podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:30pm
How much are brake controllers and do they need to be installed by a professional?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>