Topic ClosedTowing with a Honda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Honda
    Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 12:51pm
I disagree about the existance of overdrive - all modern transmissions have 1 or 2 overdrive gears where the ratio is higher than 1.  Some transmissions have an actual separate overdrive gear which is "inserted" into the total equation, ultimately affecting the ratio from all gears, that I can believe doesn't exist on the Ridgeline (I don't think any modern light truck transmissions do).  Whether there is a separate gear or not, ultimately the engine turns slower than the driveshaft.  In your case possibly 4th and definitely 5th gear.  On mine, 5th and 6th gears are overdrive.

I agree that on a 5 gear transmission 3rd is unlikely to be a good selection for the pod, except on big hills.  Usually "tow mode" buttons on light trucks are for heavy loads.  If you were towing near your limit then 3rd is probably the right choice.

I agree on speed, too.  I experimented with 60 mph (95 kph), 65 and 70+ speeds on my recent trip.  I already expected the best speed to be between 60 and 65 based on what I've found during daily driving.  60 appears to be the best when towing (10-11 mpg), with a drop to 9-10 mpg at 65, and a drop off a cliff above 70 to around 6-7 mpg.

Edit:  The last 2 long-range trips I've experimented with the gearing, too.  Tow-haul mode seems to drop about a half mpg off, mostly because it holds gears longer than I wanted, which is necessary for 4000+ pound loads but not the pod.  It also engaged the automatic engine braking (like the Ridgeline) which at first was nice but I felt like it dropped way down to 2nd too often, but again this would be appropriate for a heavy load.  This trip I left it in drive on the plains so it would hit 6th, and left it in 5th max the rest of the time, not using tow-haul mode.  I downshifted manually on the bigger grades only rarely going as low as 2nd.  I did use tow-haul for a few of the biggest climbs and 1 or two up-down-up-down climbs, since it also boosts transmission oil pressure.  This makes the gear changes a bit smoother when the tranny is under stress, and gets the heat to the tranny cooler faster so it keeps the temps down a bit.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I disagree about the existance of overdrive - all modern transmissions have 1 or 2 overdrive gears where the ratio is higher than 1.  Some transmissions have an actual separate overdrive gear which is "inserted" into the total equation, ultimately affecting the ratio from all gears, that I can believe doesn't exist on the Ridgeline (I don't think any modern light truck transmissions do).  Whether there is a separate gear or not, ultimately the engine turns slower than the driveshaft.  In your case possibly 4th and definitely 5th gear.  On mine, 5th and 6th gears are overdrive.

You are correct, the two highest gears on the Honda are overdrives. Honda compensates for the lower transmission gear ratios with a 4.375 rear end. It all comes out in the wash when multiplied together. The D3 selection is Honda's equivalent of others' tow mode. It locks into 3rd gear which is 1:1 through the transmission. This is then equivalent to straight through with a 4.375 rear end;not bad with the 3.5L engine. Strangely there is no way to lock in 4th gear. You're choices are all five or stop at 3. In my experience with the Pod and Pilot I chose what felt best while watching the transmission fluid temp on the ScanGauge. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Harry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 3:24pm
Thank you..

Yes... I stand corrected on the overdrive issue.  I just found a listing of RL transmission ratios.  The final drive is actually 4.533.  In the Honda Manual, by the way, it very clearly states not to tow regularly in D3, or transmission overheating will develop.  

My basic rules for economical towing are to use the regular "D" setting, keep it below 95 kph, and keep the revs below 4000 rpm, even if it means slowing down on long hills.  Changing octane levels has not really made much of a difference.

Thanks again.
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 4:37pm
On the rpm issue, the biggest thing to keep an eye on is oil pressure.  You must have 10 psi for every 1000 rpm, which may be another good reason to keep it at 4000 rpm if the oil pressure gauge never goes above 40 psi under high loads.
Lohnesdl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:43pm
One thing to also remember is that a TV's towing capacity needs to have the weight of the passengers added to the weight of the trailer (plus any gear, etc  carried in the TV and the trailer).  The more the TV's capacity to tow the safer you will be.  
wildfire305 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 6:51am
A SCAN GAUGE!!! I have an 04 Odyssey and would love to monitor the transmission temp. Where do I get one from?
2005 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8
OLD Tow Vehicle 2004 Honda Odyssey
2015 RP179 "73b"
OLD 2005 Viking Saga 2480ST popup
Harry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:37am
Check out Amazon.com.  

They hook into the On Board Diagnostic (OBD) unit in your Odyssey.  They will basically display whatever you car's sensors are capable of giving information on, plus information on fuel consumption, temperatures, and so on.  You can also shut off check-engine-warning lights with it.  

Before getting one of these, you might want to check beforehand what sensors your Odyssey actually has, then get the best match.
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 8:41am
Originally posted by wildfire305

A SCAN GAUGE!!! I have an 04 Odyssey and would love to monitor the transmission temp. Where do I get one from?

As Harry says, it's a plugin gauge to monitor, among other things, transmission temperature.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407241839&sr=8-1&keywords=scangauge+2  

Also available at auto stores for $160 +/-. With my2010  Pilot I had everything else I needed built in except tranny temp. I suspect, but don't know, your Odessey is similar. It's just plug-and-play except you'll have to find the specific codes for the temp and program them in. Research the Honda Odessey user groups for them. If you can't find them the codes for the Pilot may work.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 12:35pm
Another option is the Aeroforce Interceptor, which I talked about here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4438
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 1:08pm
I use the Torque app on my android phone- $5 for the paid version of the app and around $12 for the OBDII bluetooth adapter.   Went through a bit of a hunt for the programming info to read trans temps, of which there are two on my Toyota, pan temp and torque convertor out. 
Pretty interesting watching how they vary, haven't been on a really hard haul since getting it but have one coming up.  When the TC unlocks the temp immediately starts rising on the TC out sensor, the pan rises much more slowly, which is a good thing.  High pan fluid temp is the killer to watch for.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>