Topic ClosedUS tour - southern states, 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - southern states, 2013
    Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:57pm
I've hinted on other threads about our big plans for this summer, I figured it was time to post the details.  Two years ago we realized we only had about a half-dozen summers left with both of our girls, with the summer after 11th grade for our oldest being the last.  The summer before she starts college I'm sure we'll have to stay local.  So, Soviet-style, we made a 5-year vacation plan. 

First up was a week-long cruise which we took last summer.  Next up is three or four 3-week trips around parts of the US.  When I was a kid my family did a big loop of the US in five weeks.  That was too long in one car and we still didn't see everything we wanted to see (I wanted to see the Pacific Ocean but after coming within a day's drive we had to start heading back), plus as the principal pod driver I wouldn't want to do that much driving.  Three weeks is going to be bad enough with several all-day slogs.

My wife will be attending a conference this summer in Atlanta, so it made sense to use that as our launching point for this year's trip.  A nice perk, the travel expense we would have used to get her home will now go towards gas costs after I pick her up.  Next year she'll be in Denver so we'll probably do a loop around the major attractions in AZ, UT, etc.  The year after will probably be a northern loop (no conference that year).  Going by memory, below is our itinerary for this year.  A quick note that 1/3 of our night stops will be in Walmart parking lots (or similar, like Flying J) which adds to the adventure.  I'm mounting a generator on the front of the TV to run the A/C on these stops which I'll post about later.

1. A day and a half with just the kids making our way to Atlanta.
  2. A day and a half in Tybee, GA with friends at the beach.
  3. A day in Pensacola, FL touring the Naval Air Museum.
  4. Two days in New Orleans.
  5. A day in Houston touring the Space Center.
  6. A day in Carlsbad Caverns, NM
  7. A half-day in Roswell, NM (passing through, might as well).
  8. A day and a half in Albuquerque, NM, visiting family and touring the Petroglyphs.
  9. A day in OK at the National Cowboy Museum.
  10. A half-day in Arkansas at the Crater of Diamonds (in the morning before it gets hot).
  11. A day at Graceland in TN.
  12. A day at Mammoth Cave National Park, KY.
  13. A day at Natural Tunnel State Park, VA.
  14. A day and a half in Whitmer, WV, visiting family.
  15. Finally a half-day at home to unpack and do laundry, then a full day of sleeping in and doing nothing before heading back to work.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ThePinoyPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:34pm
This sounds fantastic!! After a vacation like that, I'm not quite sure you're going to enjoy the first day back to work. Take many photo's and enjoy making all kinds of memories :) 

ThePinoyPodders (Wife) 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:35pm
A quick "local" note.. If you want hook ups at Mammoth Cave, the park doesn't have them.. BUT I highly recommend "Diamond Caverns" resort. It is on the park "parkway", about 5 miles from the cave entrance.

Campground  has good amenities, 2 pools, mini and real golf, direct access to the hiking and biking trails at MCNP.

Also since it is just down the road, the National Corvette museum is nice, even if it's GM.. LOL.
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 3:48pm
Techntrek, that sounds fantastic. Your girls will have some wonderful memories. Be safe out there and post lots of pictures so we can all be jealous!
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by furpod

A quick "local" note.. If you want hook ups at Mammoth Cave, the park doesn't have them.. BUT I highly recommend "Diamond Caverns" resort. It is on the park "parkway", about 5 miles from the cave entrance.

Campground  has good amenities, 2 pools, mini and real golf, direct access to the hiking and biking trails at MCNP.

Also since it is just down the road, the National Corvette museum is nice, even if it's GM.. LOL.

Very good to know.  We found that out after making our reservation, and they don't do refunds.  We were just going to rough it that night - and hope the temps fell low enough to be comfortable with a fan or two.  I'll mention that campground to my wife, we might just eat the $17 loss at the in-park campground to have A/C.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 6:41pm
Definitely will have a ton of pics, my wife is an avid scrapbooker and has become very good with a full-sized SLR to fill her books up.  She's done electronic scrapbooking a few times and says she may do it for this trip so she can start while we're on the road.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 7:03am
Looks like a great trip!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 7:14am
You have some great trips coming up, if you have one each summer for the next three or four years!  Our oldest son was working full time the summer between Junior and Senior year, and didn't want to go on vacation, and the youngest was in love, went along anyway, and made the trip miserable.  Enjoy vacation with kids while you can!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 3:45pm
Wow, that looks like a great trip planned out! We are hoping to get a longer one in ourselves next spring and have started figuring it out, but this is amazing!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 6:35am
On our last big west trip, I kept a journal on my iPad. We saw and did so much during the trip that the journal really came in handy once we got home and tried to remember everything!  I then made a Shutterfly digital photo album and included the journal entries so now we can sit down and relive our fun trip whenever we want!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>