Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner of used '09 152
    Posted: 01 May 2013 at 8:33pm
Hi,

Made a private purchase on a 09 152 yesterday. My very first travel trailer and am very excited to get into the lifestyle with my wife, newborn girl and our dog. It will be snug but that's what we wanted!

I may have put the cart before the horse though as my current vehicle can't tow even this light weight. The decal on the trailer says the GVRW is approx 3150 lbs.

I have been trolling the discussion board on tv and get the impression many of you are okay with using a tv that can handle 3500 tow capacity. I'm on the West Coast Canada (Vancouver Island for those geographically inclined) and expect to see some hills. So my first priority is getting a tv that can meet the GVWR and terrain. I am thinking I should be looking at a tv that has a tow capacity of 4500+, but that puts me into a larger vehicle than I care for (even if its only used for towing).

So my question for all those with experience is am I going to be okay with a tv that has 3500 tow capacity (+ proper tow package) or do I need to go larger?

Looking forward to learning from all the members and sharing in my family's new adventure!

ZAG
2009 RP-152
To be towed with...?
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 8:59pm
Welcome Zag to the wonderful world of podding.  Being on the Island, and then having to go into or over the rockies if you want to go to east... cause you can't go any further west... Smile  I wouldn't tow with anything less than 4500lb.  In fact our tv is rated at 5000lb and I wouldn't go less than that.  But whatever tv you get  be sure to have/put on a tranny cooler and that is a must in your part of our great country.  Good luck to you
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
sailo25 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:03pm
I just bought a 151 but have only towed it about 30 miles with my outback 4 cyl. I am also going to be looking for a tv with more hp. My tv will pull at about 55 - 65 mph. I am hoping to get out this weekend for our first trip out. Welcome aboard
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:48am
It is less the horsepower of the TV than its ability to keep the trailer stable in cross winds etc.  Proper hitches can help, but the best tow vehicles are long wheelbase and fairly heavy with correct suspention and drivetrain.  Inmy case I use a full length F-150.  It handles the r-pod well.  My neighbor has a similar GMC pickup and hauls a 35' trailer and has trouble.  He uses all the right hitches, but it is to heavy and to much wind surface for his truck, and would be for mione as well.  Horsepower is adequate, but the truck just can't control that much weight.

People are pulling trailers with all kinds of TVs.  I suggest you go as big as you can, with proper equipment (hitches, coolers, suspention upgrades etc).  And don't be in a hurry.  You are on vacation!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:58am
Welcome to the forums and the pod life...

The 152 is one of the lightest Pods, that helps. Many pull with a 3500lb rating and are comfortable.. You may be also. If not.. well then when shopping you will know what criteria are important to you now.. lol

I honestly have never had a truck or SUV with under a 8,000lb tow rating.. but I never know what I might hook up to next..  
Meriflower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:33pm
Welcome and congrats on your new-to-you Pod! Smile 

Personally I wouldn't go any less than 5000# tow rating.  You might do ok with a TV rated at 3500# but I would use extra caution if hilly, windy conditions, and/or passing semis.  Must haves is a good weight distribution hitch, sway control, and brake controller.  We use an Equalizer hitch which does both weight distribution and sway together.  For the brake controller, we like Prodigy.  If you get a vehicle with the trailer tow package, make sure is has a class III hitch, with a 7-plug in, and also a tranny cooler.

As others already stated, there are people out there with different TV/trailer combinations.  Some tow close to capacity and feel comfortable in doing so.  I am not one of those people.
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:49pm
Thanks for the warm welcomes and great feedback regarding tow capacity.

Given my lack of experience and the terrain I hope to travel I am now focusing my attention on finding a good used SUV to act as my tv (and second car). Then in a few years once I've paid down the trailer I can look at upgrading to something newer.  I've lined up some Ford Explorers to look and they all have 5000lb+ tow capacity. The one is an 02 with a Class 3 hitch and 7K tow capacity. Plenty of room for the family and should be able to get up the hills (since I'm at sea level).

Hope to share some pics soon! 
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:17pm
Zag, good thinkin'. It's very easy to choose a tow vehicle that's too small, and it'll really cost you in the long run--the voice of experience talking here. I've learned the hard way to not sweat the additional expenses for an adequate tow rig, verses saving some bucks and dealing with towing at 4000+ rpms on hills and against winds with nothing in reserve. Plus, you won't be frustrated holding up traffic on the many two lane pulls we have in the Northwest areas of Canada and the U.S. Most of us don't consider that if we have to ask whether our vehicle is adquate to tow our Pod, then we will probably find times when it really isn't. 
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:34pm
Welcome....ditto on the 5000 tow min.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:59pm

I currently live in NC, and I am fine with my TV rated at 3500# for this area.

I am from and grew up in Washington State and Alaska, have spent a lot of time in BC and Alberta, and wouldn't even think of towing my Pod in those areas with my current TV.  Minimum I'd go with is 5000#.

Hope that helps.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>