Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping in Tennessee and Noth Carolina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping in Tennessee and Noth Carolina
    Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:53pm
Planning a trip this summer to Tennessee and North Carolina and wanted to know if anyone has any great campgrounds they would recommend and any places of interest.
Randy and Anne
2011 R-Pod 182G
2009 Highlander V6 AWD
sailo25 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 6:56pm
We camped at cades cove in tenn. at the national parks.
2Poders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 7:31pm
We camped their many years ago in a pop-up. It rained the entired time. So much rain that it saturated the canvas. Wish we had our r-pod then.
Randy and Anne
2011 R-Pod 182G
2009 Highlander V6 AWD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 9:07pm
There is probably just about anything you want in East TN & Western NC.  You should be more specific about what you're looking for.  I like the Smokies NP campgrounds, but they have zero hookups in the park.  Campgrounds abound around the Park with all sorts of amenities.  Outside of the Smokies, there is the Blue Ridge Parkway, and scores of beautiful state parks.

The way you ask about TN & NC makes me think you are interested in the mountain areas, but it's almost a thousand miles from Memphis to Manteo, so narrow things down a bit.

TT
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 7:14am
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1484&KW=smokys&PID=12514&title=gsmnp-elkmont#12514
Here is an old post about the Smoky's and I would add my vote as a place to see& stay while in the area.  I usually go there every year in the fall.  Cherokee is interesting, if curious about the history of the people, having some museums, etc. It has lots of "touristy" stuff like Gatlinburg, also.

If you really want hook ups for your Pod, the Yogi Bear campground, East of Gatlinburg, on 321(?) is a nice place - though I haven't stayed there in several years.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:00pm
I would echo Tars comments ... we've done a lot of camping, both pre & post Pod, around the NC area so if you can narrow down where you are looking for it would be easier to come up with some suggestions.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:30pm
There is a r-pod round up at Raccoon Holler campground in northwest just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in NW NC 12-16 June.See the other forum (Www.rpodnation.com) for details.  Looks like a group of intrepid podders will gather!  See www.raccooncholler.com for details of the campground.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
2Poders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:32pm
We are interested in eastern T and western Nc plus checking out the outer banks. Would love to camp close to the ocean.
Randy and Anne
2011 R-Pod 182G
2009 Highlander V6 AWD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:32am
I stay in National Parks pretty much whenever I can.  Smokemont near Cherokee, NC, or Deep Creek near Bryson City, NC, are both very nice and easy to get to with a Pod.  On the TN side, Elkmont, is close to Gatlinburg, Cosby and Cades Cove are not hard to get to also, though more remote.  There are no hook ups of any kind in the GSMNP, and no showers.  I dry camp.  It ain't for everyone.  This is where your input would really help.  Do you want to dry camp or do you want full hookup?  Do you have kids?  If you want playgrounds and activities in the campground for them, you need to let us know.  There are an abundance of places outside of the Smokies with hookups and lots of kid-friendly things.  I've never stayed at any of them so I can't recommend them, but I'm sure plenty of people here have.

Ditto for the Outer Banks.  I like Frisco and Ocracoke campgrounds in the Park.  No hookups, although they do have cold water showers.  Again, there is no shortage of commercial campgrounds in the area, but I've never stayed at any of them.  The Park (Seashore, actually) campgrounds are behind the dunes so you won't be able to see the ocean without a walk.  I don't know if any of the commercial campgrounds have ocean views.  There might be zoning laws against putting anything on the ocean side of the dunes, but I could easily be wrong.  You can take a ferry over to Portsmouth Island south of Ocracoke and camp on the beach.  You need 4WD and I've never seen anyone towing a camper in the sand.  I would not recommend it if you care about your camper. 

Check online regarding opening dates for the Park campgrounds and reservations.

TT
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:03pm
I like the looks of Hales Bar RV park just off I-24, exit 158, 15 miles or so north of Chattanooga.  It's on an island in Nickajack lake(Tenn. River) and looks like every site is on the water. Never stayed there, but looks good every time I pass it heading to Nashville...Beautiful area.
GaRedneck81
USN Retired
RP-172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>