R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEpic road trip in planning, need advice...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epic road trip in planning, need advice...
    Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
So, right now my brother and I are planning an epic road trip around North America once classes are out for the semester.

The trip is going to be up the CA coast to WA, across the country, down the east, and work our way back through the south.

I have some stops planned but I need advice, not just on stops and roads, but essential gear.

This is basically an on-road trip.

I have my '09 Toyota FJ, ARB Bumper, spacers in front, KN filter, cyclone pre filter, dual battery (will be finished by then), stock skids and bling plate (will be reattached by then), Hella 500s on bumper, NavComputer, OBD2 monitor (so I can keep an eye on trans temp while towing), fridge in car, and Airlift 1000 in back springs.

The '13 R-Pod 177 trailer is already outfitted and I've added a second battery and solar.  Only thing I don't have is a generator to run the A/C, so I think I'll skip that.

I'll bring basic tools, wrenches, ratchets, impact driver, fuses, fluids, first aid, ham radio, cb, compressor, jump-starter thing, etc.

Any other suggestions?

This is the first real trip besides in AZ that I'll have towed a trailer on.

3/30/13 Update:  After some suggestions on various forums, the decision has been made to go the opposite direction to avoid bad weather and large insects.
2009 FJ CRUISER (ARB BUMPER, Rear Airlift 1000, and some other stuff)
2013 Forest River R-Pod 177HRE (Mods)
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 3:44am
Are you planning on using campgrounds or boondocking most of the time?

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 7:44am
Second propane tank, easy to use jack and tire iron for trailer tires, battery drill driver makes setting levelers quick and easy, spare water heater anode and appropriate wrench, Good Sam Club membership for discounts, etc. satellite radio for traffic and weather or a NOAA weather radio.  Strike anywhere matches (once you get back east you can sell them!, we can't buy them in many states here).

Many states east of the Missisippi are now mapped by a company that sells high res atlases- Delorme. These red atlases show details of the roads, terrain, PoIs, campgrounds, etc. $20.00 each, but a good souvenir of the trip, too.  We have one in all our family vehicles, including the pod, remembering the GPS shows only where you are, not where you can go!

Have a great adventure... Send photos, blog your trip for us all!

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 11:01am
Sounds to me like you have everything.  Remember, there are stores along the way.  I did a motorcycle trip many years ago from L.A. to Canada and back.  Ran across another biker with side bags full of canned goods.  Must have increased his load by about 60 lbs.  Really slowed him down.  Had to remind him that much can be purchased wherever he was.  The only thing I would suggest is a copy of Trailer Life or some other campground directory.  Will really come in handy.  Other than that, have a wonderful trip and send pics if you can.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 1:19pm
If you want to save some money and don't really need a campground every night, check out this book:  "Guide to over 1,000 free campgrounds".  You can find it here: http://gypsyjournal.net/gypsy_journal_book_store.htm

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply