R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire leveler bal-light - Event Date: 17 Mar 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire leveler bal-light
    Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 10:17am
Does anyone have experience with this product?

It looks like a better way to level side to side vs. the stacking blocks??

Thanks

http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2012/06/06/gadget-review-the-bal-light-trailer-tire-leveler/

2011 RPOD 177 - 2017 Tacoma
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:32pm
I don't have one, but I've heard lots of good things about the Bal.  I'm told that they hold the tire very securely and there's infinite control over the height.  But, you may have some trouble sliding the leveler on either side of the tire if the ground isn't level (e.g. if there's a tire divot in the gravel when you park the trailer, or if you're parked on patchy grass).  You also have to keep the screw well greased and cover it during travel (maybe with a piece of old garden hose) to keep the grease from getting all over everything.

Personally, I'll stick with my big orange lego blocks.  They're light weight, keep clean, stack neatly, and pack tightly away.  I did add a Hoppy Hitch Level (link) to my rpod's tongue which makes life much, much easier - after I back in, I check the level and it shows me which side of the trailer is low and it indicates how many inches (1" = 1 lego) that tire has to be raised for level.  Its quick and flawless.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:32pm
We use one with our Pod.  Have used it from the very first trip we ever took.  Love it!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:57pm
Bought one last year.  Easy to use, beats backing up onto stacked blocks or 2x's.  It can take a bit of banging to get it around the tire, but once it is there it is great.  A ratchet or a drill driver makes it a lot easier to use.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 3:41pm
ConfusedI used a Bal leveler for awhile.  Now it usually sits in the pickup.  It works great if the camp site has a hard surface.  But I found that the leveler would sink into softer surfaces.  I would have to raise the tire even higher, then slip one or more leveling blocks under the tire...lower the leverer until the weight was on the blocks and I could then drag the Bal out of its sunken pocket.  You can keep the leveler from sinking by placing some small planks under its legs so it can't sink.  But then I have a couple of muddy planks along with the leveler to clean off and store. 
About a third of the total weight of the Pod is sitting on two small diameter steel tubes rather than spread out over the plastic blocks.  I went back to leveling blocks and found that even if I had to move off of them and add/remove some, the total time involved was less than inserting the Bal, removing it, cleaning it, etc.
TIDALWAVE
HavaPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 9:25pm
We are new at this and haven't even thought about this.  I guessed that the four levelers on the corners of the R-Pod would be all we needed to adjust if we are not on level ground.   What am I missing?
Steve and Peggy Thorndill
HavaPod
2013 R-Pod 177
Tacoma, WA

Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 9:48pm
The corner levelers are stabilizers. They are not designed to carry the full weight of the pod, but to hold it in place once it is level front to back and side to side.  Typically either leveling blocks of plastic, usually sold in sets of four or ten, or 2x8or2x10 lengths of 12t 24 inches long are used to level side to side. Once the wheels are chocked, The front to back is handled using the jack on the front.  A piece of 2xor 4x helps to stabilize the jack base on soft substrate.  The stabilizers can then be lowered to maintain the position of the level trailer and keep it from jiggling when walking around inside. The plastic blocks or chunks of 2x or 1x can be used to be a solid base under them to prevent them from sinking in soft substrate.

Happy podding, and we're all here to learn!!  Walt. 
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 9:53pm
A usual assumption, but something you shouldn't do.  Always level a camper using the wheels - using wood, air bags, plastic blocks, the BAL, etc. - and the tongue jack.  The corner stabilizers are only there to reduce movement and to prevent the camper from tipping to the rear (the tongue jack prevents issues going forward).  Once they touch the ground you shouldn't crank them more than 1-2 more turns. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
HavaPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:03am
Thanks very much for the heads up on this issue!
Steve and Peggy Thorndill
HavaPod
2013 R-Pod 177
Tacoma, WA

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 2:33pm
I have a  Bal leveler  and love it.  It's the first thing that comes out before I unhitch, the wheel is not going to move like it might if the yellow block it's set right.

Two things I've learned along the way.  1. If you are on anything but cement put a Lynx block under the wheel in between the pipes (the weight will sink it in even the toughest dirt and then what if it rains).  2. Have a extra sissor jack with you.   I'm a small person and sometimes I just can't get the bal out from the tire.  Couple of turns with the sissor jack under the axle risers and it comes free with ease.

I use 2-4 Lynx blocks under each stablizer, less cranking. 
Once last leveling tip.  Because I do use the shower, I use a small level in on the floor of the shower and have just a little tilt toward the drain, (when your really level water hangs around a bit).

Happy Podding
LeeStar

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>