Topic ClosedMt. Rushmore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mt. Rushmore
    Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 5:41pm
Heading to Rushmore summer of 2013 from Southern Cal. Plan to return home by southern route NM, AZ. Any suggestions for Rushmore and return home trip. Thanks
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
George and Linda
GrandPod View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 7:22pm
I will recommend Custer State Park in South Dakota. They have several campground located around the park. The prettiest on is called Sylvan Lake; located not far from Mt. Rushmore. They have several tunnels that are too narrow for a trailer to pass throught but there are other ways to get around.
 The one we stayed at was called Game Lodge and it is located close to the wildlife loop road. You'll see lots of Buffalo and Antalope. Also Blue Bell campground is located close to the wild life loop road.
 Custer State park is lots of fun. They also have several scenic drives that take you around the park and through the narrow tunnels on very winding up hill roads.
 Check out there web site and be sure to make reservation far in advance. Very popular State Park.
My favorite places to visit  are  Yellowstone National Park and Custer State Park.
 Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 7:47pm
+1 on Custer and Yellowstone.  Both are memorable parks with lots to see and do.  Further north are the monument at the Little Bighorn that is the site of the Custer battle, and Devil's tower, a beautiful and spiritual place.  At Devil's Tower there is a KOA campground that is almost on the grounds, and they play "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" every night.  When we were there a small town rodeo took place weekly and we happened to camp there the night it happened.  Lots of fun.  My favorite national park is east of there in Estes Park, Colorado (Rocky Mountain National Park).  We have visited that park in all seasons, and it is like a wildlife video.

Have fun planning, and a great trip!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 12:02pm
One thing to consider when traveling in that area is the date(s) of your visit. Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is held in June (this year I think it starts 13 June runs for a week). Thousands of folks are looking for a place to stay, many camp.
The Black Hills National Forest has enough camp sites to accomadate 25,000 per night. This is an option if Custer State Park is full. Another option is but limited to 75 sites is Wind Cave National Park, there is 75 sites here. There are also a number of non government type camp facilities in the area as well such as KOA's ect. I just do not know much about these as we have never stayed at one.
One other place which is not too far away is the Badlands National Park. There is campgrounds and lodges in this park.
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:42am
I need some advice for traveling from Custer State Park to Yellowstone. I have been told you have to be careful which route to take or you are going through mountains with a camper.  I would appreciate advice.  Thanks!
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 1:08am
Glad you asked! Just finished that trip (plus more) and be happy to help.
Left town of Custer on Hwy 16. Stayed on 16 till I hit around Moorcraft and tied into Hwy 90. Then stayed on Hwy 90 till I hit the town of Buffalo where we stopped for the night.
Left Buffalo on Hwy 16 West and stayed there till Worland where I tied into Hwy 20 and headed North to Greybull, there I joined Hwy 14 West to Cody where I stopped for the night. From Cody it's Hwy 14/16/20 West to Yellowstone. Suggest you go thru to West gate to camp. Good Luck.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 1:25am
Wink Hawkeyes,

Just finished Yellowstone trip, 3 days driving around the park. Hope these hints help.
Southern loop (Old Faithful) is most crowded, hit old faithful by 8am (blows about every 90 minutes now) then get out of the area. Most beautiful is northern loop, less crowded, too. Drive center road east to west entrance as soon as you get there and drop rig at campground, don't try sightseeing with rig, you'll miss a lot of side road stuff and parking is hell with a rig. More animals, less people, more beauty on northern loop. Be sure to see Fort Yellowstone, 15 elk on ranger quarters lawn within 10 feet, wow.Stream above Virginia Cascade on Northern Loop is a great place to get your feet wet. Have a great trip.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 1:33am
Smile

Did the trip plus more and just got back last week, gone for 3 weeks, 4233.1 miles, wow. Did Rushmore, Custer, Craters, Yellowstone (Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon). A really fine trip.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 1:37am
Smile

Stayed in Hill City KOA. Did Rushmore and Custer, you were right, beautiful.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 1:43am
Smile

Carl and Sandee,

Sturgis is August this year. Stopped by One-Eyed Jacks for beer and tee shirt. Town prepping for MC Rally. Glad we left before they hit the area. Stayed in Hill City KOA, middle of everything.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>