Topic ClosedMt. Rushmore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mt. Rushmore
    Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:16am
That is so helpful.  Can't thank you enough!  What time of day did you leave Custer?  Just curious.  We are camping at Game Lodge for 3 nights and then headed to Yellowstone.  We have two nights of no reservation between the two.
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Hawkeyes

I need some advice for traveling from Custer State Park to Yellowstone. I have been told you have to be careful which route to take or you are going through mountains with a camper.  I would appreciate advice.  Thanks!
We did our trip a couple years back, and you'll be going through some mountains regardless of which way you go.  From Custer you need to get up to I-90 and you have 2 options ... Hwy 16 to Rapid City and hop on I-90, or take a more scenic route through Deadwood on Hwy 385 which is the way we went.  Stay on I-90 headed west into Wyoming.  If you have time and the inclination take the Hwy 14 loop from Sundance up to Devils Tower.  
We stayed on and took the Hwy 14 route across from I-90, and it was fine for us but from what I have heard and read many believe the Hwy 16 route to be the easier of the two.  Of course, if you truly are worried about it then the easiest (but longest) way would be to stay on I-90 all the way to Livingston, MT, and take Hwy 89 south into the park.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:51am
Smile Hawkeyes,

Always tried to leave around 8 to 9am. This let us beat the heat and have time to see things after we dropped the rig. We never went more than 250 miles per day, usually 200 at most. That schedule will get you through to west gate of Yellowstone from Cody in plenty of time to set up, relax, get your bearings, and set for the park the next day.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
George and Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12