Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoor County, WI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door County, WI
    Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:09pm
Has anyone taken their r-pod to Peninsula State Park, Door County, Wisconsin? Curious as to what campground is the most desirable!!!!!!
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 5:39pm
My information is secondhand.  So far we have never camped there.  Many friends camp at Peninsula and love it.  I can't help on the particular campgrounds.

We drive right past and to to Washington Island.  You miss out on the Door County shops and tourist things and have a nice quiet camping trip on the Island.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:04am
We thought about that, and wondered about the ease of getting the Rpod across on a ferry. I am only guessing it is possible as there is a RV park on the island, but the lowness of the pod might be an issue. Thanks for this and anything else you might share about the area.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:50am
We did fine with the ferry the first few times, but last time I scraped off the right rear stabilizer jack.  In Spring before we head up there again our Pod gets a set of risers!  The campground is constantly improving having fairly new owners, and I see on Facebook they are marketing it at the winter camper shows.  One thing I always liked is even on busy weekends I could count on an open site.  Maybe not any more.

One of my co-workers spent a day on the island with her children and asked why we liked it becuse there was nothing to do.  I think that sums it up.  There are things to do, but not flashy things.  There is great birding and hiking,  good restaurants but no chains, and lots of friendly people.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 1:12pm
I was wondering about that, as the ferry website has a disclaimer about low hanging exhaust systems. Since we are planning our trip for early September, I hope that, at least in midweek, it will be more quiet. I think we will probably try the state park, as Tina wishes to visit several of the light houses and museums, but since we both love hiking and birding, a day on the island will be part of the trip.

We were first planning just going to the North Shore of Superior, centering and hiking around Grand Marais, MN. We have been there before, love it, and have hiked several sections of the SHT in the past. After reading about Door County and seeing a trip offered through Road Scholar, we decided to add a few days and make a big loop that includes Door County.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:37pm
If you want hookups in a Wisconsin state park even mid week you need to make reservations as early as possible.  If you can't get in the state parks there are plenty of camp grounds that would be able to take you I am sure.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:32pm
As soon as the dates are nailed down I will be making reservations, if the State Park is unavailable, we don't mind private campgrounds either. We have been doing a lot of reading (from the Library) on Door County, and Washington Island,  and are getting more excited the more we read. I love the restaurant on Washington Island that serves up fresh lawyers daily, lol. We will probably be there from 13-17th Sept as it now stands, then head to northern WI for a day or two, then over to MN.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 9:44pm
I hate to dissapoint, but I have been to that restaurant at least 25 times, and they have never had lawyers that day.  The owner has the last of the trawlers that runs from the island, so they do have them sometimes but not every day.  That is where the locals have breakfast, and it is a great place to find out what is going on that day.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 8:50am
Oh NO!!!! A SHORTAGE of LAWYERS!!!!!!! It looks like there are several fun local places to visit on Washington Island. Do they allow Bicycles on the Island? I was a little confused on that point in the book I was reading. Thanks again for all your help!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 4:17pm
You can bike anywhere on the island.  There are gentle hills and lots of flat.  You can bring your own or rent from one of several stands at the ferry dock.  It is a great place to bike!.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>